• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need help getting out of the reloading "pit of misery"

Thanks for the advice on the barrel. Everyone keeps telling me to shoot the barrel, but I am hesitant to load for the barrel with that kind of free bore, and yes, I agree, I love the .20 Practical, it's a laser.
Trapper

Load to magazine OAL (or just shy) and do development from there. It's what my friend did with his 22 Grendel and it's what I'll do once I get my barrel in. There can be quite a bit of jump in the auto-loaders, but you'd be suprised what non VLD bullets can do with the jump. The 75gr ELD has been money even with big jumps. The 6.5 Grendel and variants really benefit from specific mags, 6.8 SPC mags aren't the greatest. The 6.5 Grendel E-Lander mags tend to work best.

I have 6.5 G in both AR's and bolt guns as well as the 6mmAR. This .224 G barrel is about to drive me crazy just from the amount of jump for some of these bullets. They seem way excessive for this round. Has your friend been able to get a decent grouping out of any of his rounds?
Thanks

Sub MOA to a grand. Shoot it, only way youll know. If it shoots why worry? Ive jumped some 308s stupid far in factory guns and they shoot just fine.

I always figured if the bore and chamber are perfectly lined up with each other and you could get a factory like crimp on your bullet to allow the powder to get burning before the bullet moves forward, let it jump. Parking it in the lands is just to compensate for poor neck tension, and bore to chamber misalignment.

I have seen my shooting buddy’s Kimber LPT 308 will hold .6moa out to 600yards, and it jumps a long way due to the mag length. My Ruger 30.06 benifits a great deal by loading it into the lands. Your gun may work great with the jump.

yeah...let it jump? why do we need to let it jump? you pay good coin for a custom barrel...Id ask for it to be setback and re-reamed for the correct leade...or send me a new barrel. anytime i have a custom barrel turned...you can usually specify the leade on the chamber. I know that the 20prac i got off you....i can hit lands with any bullet i have tried and set back to a cpl thou for safety. I understand manufacturers setting a longer leade so most any commercially available ammo will chamber. that isnt what we are talking about here.

I still love my .20 P bolt gun and want to build another AR in .20 P. Just one project at a time. :ballchain:

Attachments

• 20 Practical 7 shots.jpg
    20 Practical 7 shots.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 14
Back
Top Bottom