• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need help in ID'ing a non-monetary coin

Droz76

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
12   0
Reaction score
I found this at a pawn shop yesterday and didn't really look at it real close till I got home.
Not sure if it is a challenge coin or (?), but any info someone might have would be appreciated.
Just to get some questions out of the way..
1) no, not planning on selling it, ever!
2) what is in the pictures is all there is (i.e. no writing on the side)
3) the coin is about 1 1/2 inches side to side
4) I do believe it is from/involves Ft. Stewart
4) age of the coin ???
5) type of coin ???
6) anything else ???

Thank you and I look forward to any and all answers..!

A.jpg

B.jpg

My dad had one of these…not sure where it went when he died, probably my brother. He was the youngest man to make SgtMaj in history of MarineCorp !! Documented , in history books .
(sorry I have no real answers for you)

I found this at a pawn shop yesterday and didn't really look at it real close till I got home.
Not sure if it is a challenge coin or (?), but any info someone might have would be appreciated.
Just to get some questions out of the way..
1) no, not planning on selling it, ever!
2) what is in the pictures is all there is (i.e. no writing on the side)
3) the coin is about 1 1/2 inches side to side
4) I do believe it is from/involves Ft. Stewart
4) age of the coin ???
5) type of coin ???
6) anything else ???

Thank you and I look forward to any and all answers..!

View attachment 4747557
View attachment 4747565
What did that set you back?

There is no definitive answer as to when challenge coins started, but most people who have investigated this believe it started in the 60s during the Viet Nam war. There is speculation that it originated during WWI by a young Lieutenant that gave his men bronze medallions with the unit designation on it, and was later captured, escaped, and used his own medallion to identify himself to the French soldiers that found him. Problem is, there is no name or unit attached to that story.

The 1st BN 38th Infantry was not designated as such during WWI or WWII, they were designated as Company A 38th Infantry, assigned to 3d Division during WWI, then 2d Division (letter redesignated as 2d Infantry Division) in 1939, so they are probably showing the unit‘s lineage. They were not designated as 1st BN 38th Infantry until 1968. The unit was in WWI. WWII, and Korea, but not Viet Nam.

The “Rock of The Marne” is for the 3d Division service in WWI, particularly the 38th Infantry’s service. The platoons who battled the Germans were decimated during the first German attack after German soldiers crossed the Marne River. But, they refused to relinquish their position. Because of the bravery of the 38th Infantry, the entire 3d Division is now known as The Rock of The Marne. The 38th Infantry was never in Ft. Stewart, but the 3d Infantry Division was/is. I was attached to the 3rd ID when I deployed to the Middle East.

The coin is probably no older than the 70s, but slight possibility from the 60s.

Challenge coin from the SGM to an individual for performance or some other outstanding job well done. With only WW1, WW2 and Korea on it, I would believe the coin to be pre-Vietnam because they are usually updated after any conflict

What did that set you back?
$15.00

Some may say I overpaid or got a deal. Didn't really matter to me one way or the other.
My dad (who served in Nam) got me started on looking for older coins (yr/country didn't matter)
as a child, mainly as way of keeping out of trouble (sorta worked).

To all that have & will respond,
Thank you..!

There is no definitive answer as to when challenge coins started, but most people who have investigated this believe it started in the 60s during the Viet Nam war. There is speculation that it originated during WWI by a young Lieutenant that gave his men bronze medallions with the unit designation on it, and was later captured, escaped, and used his own medallion to identify himself to the French soldiers that found him. Problem is, there is no name or unit attached to that story.

The 1st BN 38th Infantry was not designated as such during WWI or WWII, they were designated as Company A 38th Infantry, assigned to 3d Division during WWI, then 2d Division (letter redesignated as 2d Infantry Division) in 1939, so they are probably showing the unit‘s lineage. They were not designated as 1st BN 38th Infantry until 1968. The unit was in WWI. WWII, and Korea, but not Viet Nam.

The “Rock of The Marne” is for the 3d Division service in WWI, particularly the 38th Infantry’s service. The platoons who battled the Germans were decimated during the first German attack after German soldiers crossed the Marne River. But, they refused to relinquish their position. Because of the bravery of the 38th Infantry, the entire 3d Division is now known as The Rock of The Marne. The 38th Infantry was never in Ft. Stewart, but the 3d Infantry Division was/is. I was attached to the 3rd ID when I deployed to the Middle East.

The coin is probably no older than the 70s, but slight possibility from the 60s.
Thanks for the info & thank you for your service.
My family has been in the Ft. Stewart area since before there was a Ft. Stewart.
Family lore has it that the original family land was "used" to build what I believe
to be called Camp Stewart in one of those towns that vanished off the map when
Camp/Ft. Stewart was built. Perhaps one day I will come across a book (hopefully a
good one) about the history of Ft. Stewart. Again, thanks for the info.

Back
Top Bottom