• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need help in ID'ing a non-monetary coin

I spent 28 years in the active Army, Massachusetts NG and USAR. I joined in 91 and purchased my 1st coin in 92. I carry this coin with me everyday because of its meaning to me. I have about 25 of them that were given to me for various reasons. Every Command has their own coin and they are updated every so often. Also, some are numbered

20220919_075416.jpg
20220919_075406.jpg

I spent 28 years in the active Army, Massachusetts NG and USAR. I joined in 91 and purchased my 1st coin in 92. I carry this coin with me everyday because of its meaning to me. I have about 25 of them that were given to me for various reasons. Every Command has their own coin and they are updated every so often. Also, some are numbered

View attachment 4748337View attachment 4748338
Thank you for your service

There is no definitive answer as to when challenge coins started, but most people who have investigated this believe it started in the 60s during the Viet Nam war. There is speculation that it originated during WWI by a young Lieutenant that gave his men bronze medallions with the unit designation on it, and was later captured, escaped, and used his own medallion to identify himself to the French soldiers that found him. Problem is, there is no name or unit attached to that story.

The 1st BN 38th Infantry was not designated as such during WWI or WWII, they were designated as Company A 38th Infantry, assigned to 3d Division during WWI, then 2d Division (letter redesignated as 2d Infantry Division) in 1939, so they are probably showing the unit‘s lineage. They were not designated as 1st BN 38th Infantry until 1968. The unit was in WWI. WWII, and Korea, but not Viet Nam.

The “Rock of The Marne” is for the 3d Division service in WWI, particularly the 38th Infantry’s service. The platoons who battled the Germans were decimated during the first German attack after German soldiers crossed the Marne River. But, they refused to relinquish their position. Because of the bravery of the 38th Infantry, the entire 3d Division is now known as The Rock of The Marne. The 38th Infantry was never in Ft. Stewart, but the 3d Infantry Division was/is. I was attached to the 3rd ID when I deployed to the Middle East.

The coin is probably no older than the 70s, but slight possibility from the 60s.
Interesting reading....I've often wondered about them. I never saw one when I was in 1968-76. I never really started seeing them until the late 80s or 90s, frankly. I know my dad who did 1939-1964 never got one, at least none were ever in what he left when he died.

View attachment 4748337View attachment 4748338
Thank you for your service..!

Back
Top Bottom