• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

NEED HELP/INFO ON HOME A/C SYSTEM

mtnsmith

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
70   0
Reaction score
I have enough knowledge about home A/C systems to be dangerous, so I need some schooling to go beyond what I think I know.

I do have a certification, but have never brazed/soldered and connections. The system I have in my home now is one I bought from a Sears liquidation store about 28 years ago and came with coil, compressor and tubing all changed that was designed to bolt together (made for dummies). It has and is working fine and I have had to add a little freon from time to time and tighten the bolts at the connection points as with vibration, they seem to loosen.

My son has had nothing but trouble with the two systems in his house he had built 14 years ago and has already replaced one of them. Now the other is leaking pretty badly, topped off twice in less than 7 days. I told him most likely a bad connection and he is now checking for leaks with soap.

I suggested if he fines a leak or doesn't, go ahead and call tech to leak check and fix. He is now out of R22, but I have a tank I can give him.

But, his question to me was, can you top with either of these two refrigerants which means mixing: (It appears that the mixing of these with R22 is allowed in Europe, i.e., OK operationly, but not according to the EPA)

ICOR International NU-22B Or

RS-44b Refrigerant, R22 Replacement

Odds are it is not a solder joint. Look at the condenser coil

He has a tech coming Monday and if it is not a solder joint and is the coil, he just may have the system replaced. LIke I mentioned, he had the upstairs unit already replaced with the rotary compressor and the downstairs unit probably only does about 30% of the work. He is in the Coal Mtn area, north of Cumming.

Back
Top Bottom