• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need help with a '68 F100 around the Conyers/Covington area

freedom

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
97   0
Reaction score
It looks like the wiring/internal switch breaker in my 68 ford is not capable of handling the extra load from modern halogen bulbs. I have to buy or make a relay and run new thicker wire and add a couple fuses to keep my headlights from turning on and off from the wires getting too hot.

I think this explains how to fix my issue
http://www.ford-trucks.com/articles/whiter-whites-brighter-brights/

I'm not a car guy, and this is a bit above my head. I bought this truck a couple months ago and was going to get to this eventually, but my daily driver is out of commission. I leave for work at 5:30am and having headlights that decide when they feel like working is a no go.

If anyone in the area can help me out, let me know. I can pay, buy beer, build you an AR, whatever.

Switch the bulbs back to the old fashioned ones for now
So you can drive it

And swap out the floor mounted dimmer switch for a new quality one from napa
Make sure it's not made in China

The article looks about right

When you do the wiring don't use any crimp on butt connectors

Get a soldering iron and do it right the first time
And then use heat shrink tubing over the splices

If you're in a real hurry you can use the epoxy filled wire nuts
Just tape over them so no one will see them and tell you it won't work
Wire nuts are way better than some most crimp connectors

I've had expoxy wire nuts on my truck for over 15 years with no problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think LMC Truck sells a conversion kit and I believe one of the guys over on the Fordification.com forums also makes and sells a relay harness if you don't want to make your own. When I get my restoration closer to completion I plan on upgrading mine but haven't paid close attention to the details or best way to get it done yet.

Found one on LMC and ordered a hopefully "plug and play" harness this morning.

The bad part is I ordered $200 worth from lmc on Saturday and I could've added this if I knew it existed and not taken the additional shipping hit. I thought it was something shorting out or a loose ground and thought J could find it before I hit the Internet.

Found one on LMC and ordered a hopefully "plug and play" harness this morning.

The bad part is I ordered $200 worth from lmc on Saturday and I could've added this if I knew it existed and not taken the additional shipping hit. I thought it was something shorting out or a loose ground and thought J could find it before I hit the Internet.
Yeah, I do that all the time too. I have really gotten some crap, poor quality parts from LMC. Hopefully this will work out well for you. Dennis Carpenter seems to have better quality stuff from my experience but all of them tend to have their share of crap you have to watch out for. Let me know how the harness works out. I'll be right behind you with that mod.
Join up over at Fordification if you haven't already.

Yeah, I do that all the time too. I have really gotten some crap, poor quality parts from LMC. Hopefully this will work out well for you. Dennis Carpenter seems to have better quality stuff from my experience but all of them tend to have their share of crap you have to watch out for. Let me know how the harness works out. I'll be right behind you with that mod.
Join up over at Fordification if you haven't already.

I might. I also have a horn that doesn't work.

I've got two repro sidewiew mirrors, gaskets for front and rear windshield and a couple small things coming in the first order.

IMG_1443.JPG
IMG_1444.JPG

Spent 3k on her. Original engine with only 116k miles.

Back
Top Bottom