• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need Help with a Digital DMR/Analog UHF/VHF Radio

I will look into it tomorrow. Quick google search says Chirp is not compatible with DMR, even if the radio is capable of analog, but that was a couple posts from 2020. Maybe things have changed?

I thought I saw your radio listed:

I'll try to remember to dig out the laptop I use for that and see if it shows up on the list when I update to the latest version.

The 778 is in the list, 878 is not. You'll have to use whatever software Anytone has to program it.

Most public safety radios are using encryption to keep folks from listening in.
I think ours changed encryption keys about every ten minutes. You would have to have NSA or better equipment to listen in.
Maybe some smaller departments don’t use encryption but I wouldn’t count on it.

Digital and encrypted are not the same thing. From my experience many do encrypt tac channels, dispatch is frequently not. And even that varies widely by department and which contractor configured it.

Nope. All of Rome/Floyd County first responders are using a 800MHz trunking system, there is no analog push anymore. There is a capability to revert to analog, but that would only occur if the 800 system imploded.

That's what it looked like from the database. Keep listening to that fire channel, it may not actually be local to you.

Digital and encrypted are not the same thing. From my experience many do encrypt tac channels, dispatch is frequently not. And even that varies widely by department and which contractor configured it.
My entire system is DIGITAL P25 and ALL LAW ENFORCEMENT related talkgroups are encrypted. Some specialized units have a higher level encryption algorithm. As another poster advised, FIRE is usually "OPEN", however I encrypted most of non-operations talkgroups.

I may start encrypting my non-mission critical disciplines too. No one needs to hear what the dog catcher is doing :-)

My entire system is DIGITAL P25 and ALL LAW ENFORCEMENT related talkgroups are encrypted. Some specialized units have a higher level encryption algorithm. As another poster advised, FIRE is usually "OPEN", however I encrypted most of non-operations talkgroups.

I may start encrypting my non-mission critical disciplines too. No one needs to hear what the dog catcher is doing :-)
Is that kind of like nobody needs an AR-15? Asking for a friend.

I understand this, I was relating to the trend in law enforcement. Our department was set up completely by Motorola and was a test department for others going forward. As far as I know pretty much every fire is encrypted now because people like to ambush officers and even now fire departments.

I didn't get to mess with it today and too exhausted to mess around with it this evening but I will get the software loaded up this week/weekend and see what I can find. Anyone mess around with the DMR on these?

I am a ham and have a DMR radio. DMR radios are a PITA to program-they use a code plug which is like a spread sheet for each channel. The manufacture has programming software for your specific radio that can be downloaded from the manufactures web site. We have several DMRS repeaters in north Georgia. Pickens, Cherokee, and Gilmer counties all still use analog systems. It should be easy to program analog frequencies into your radio. I have programming cables for most radios.

Back
Top Bottom