• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need Help with a Digital DMR/Analog UHF/VHF Radio

Probably, it was some type of power outage. This is so frustrating. I can get a weather channel, that's about it. Not sure what to do with the programming cable to be honest

Probably, it was some type of power outage. This is so frustrating. I can get a weather channel, that's about it. Not sure what to do with the programming cable to be honest

If you can get CHIRP installed and the cable working, it's much easier to program a radio like that. It's closer to filling out a spreadsheet; instead of pushing buttons and navigating cryptic backscreens on the radio.

If you can get CHIRP installed and the cable working, it's much easier to program a radio like that. It's closer to filling out a spreadsheet; instead of pushing buttons and navigating cryptic backscreens on the radio.
I will look into it tomorrow. Quick google search says Chirp is not compatible with DMR, even if the radio is capable of analog, but that was a couple posts from 2020. Maybe things have changed?

I will look into it tomorrow. Quick google search says Chirp is not compatible with DMR, even if the radio is capable of analog, but that was a couple posts from 2020. Maybe things have changed?

I thought I saw your radio listed:

I'll try to remember to dig out the laptop I use for that and see if it shows up on the list when I update to the latest version.

Your radio WILL DO analog (when you hear weather in the 162.xxx VHF range) AND also DMR (Digital Mobile Radio), which is a commercial high-end digital format. However most public safety agencies are in the 700/800MHz range on a trunking format and P25 APCO (Project 25) digital, not compatible with DMR.

If you want to monitor a P25 trunking system in your radio, do not even bother. Furthermore I keep my encrypted keys in my radio network extremely secured and there are federal laws for anyone not authorized, to listen.

I am not familiar at all with your style/model radio, I only deal with high-tier Motorola gear, but what I did see on the upper left corner, it was DIGITAL. Try to do analog and see if you hear anything.

Radioreference.com has an excellent Wiki section explaining how to monitor and what equipment to obtain for new apprentices in this hobby. Hope this helps....

Looking closer at the database for Floyd County ""All Agencies have switched to the Rome/Floyd County Public Safety DTRS". There's a very slim chance they still have the analog up, but it's very slim.
Nope. All of Rome/Floyd County first responders are using a 800MHz trunking system, there is no analog push anymore. There is a capability to revert to analog, but that would only occur if the 800 system imploded.

Just bought one of these things and I can't find any conversation anywhere. Mainly interested in listening in to local fire/police. I believe the one I bought will be capable of most anything but I am lost as last years Easter egg. I know nothing. If anyone can get me up and running, please let me know. Thanks.
Most public safety radios are using encryption to keep folks from listening in.
I think ours changed encryption keys about every ten minutes. You would have to have NSA or better equipment to listen in.
Maybe some smaller departments don’t use encryption but I wouldn’t count on it.

Back
Top Bottom