• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need help with antique guns.

Gummibear

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
0   0
Reaction score
Hey guys. I've been lurking around the forums for awhile, but this is my first post.

My father asked me to sell a few guns he inherited from his father. They are quite old and way out of my wheelhouse. One I am fairly sure is an 1873 Trapdoor Springfield. The other two are shotguns possibly pre 1898, definitely pushing a century of age. All are in fairly good condition.

I am looking for any advice as to how to figure out what they are and a fair market value for them. Places or people that would be willing to buy them at a reasonable price would also be massively appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
20170621_135830.jpg
20170621_135830.jpg
20170621_135830.jpg
20170621_135636.jpg
20170621_135822.jpg
20170621_135739.jpg
20170621_135609.jpg

Zack

1873 Trapdoor Springfield: Condition makes a difference especially the bore. Close up pictures of any markings like the eagle near the hammer, year on top of receiver, cartouche on stock would help. Good condition can sell for between $400 and $600.

@parolebear may know more.

Don't know about the shotgun.

In today's market, $200-400 would be good for a functioning BP shotgun with sound barrels, unless it's a "collectible" maker or in extraordinarily fine condition. The front action locks are generally more valuable, especially if they hold both half and full cocked positions symmetrically. A muzzleloader in good condition will generally be more valuable than the breech loading hammer gun, all other things equivalent.

Since their already third generation in your family, you might find that they'll be worth a lot more to you and the next generation than you could ever sell them for now, IMHO.

In any event, it would help to identify these if you can make out any writing any markings on the locks and barrels.

cullen1780 cullen1780 the longer barreled shotgun has "Thos Parker" on the receiver and not any embellishments other than a smooth brass button on the bottom of the stock.

The shorter one says "Essex Gun Works" on the receiver and "Genuine Damascus" on the tops spine of the barrel, with "Choke Bored" on top of the left barrel.

I'll include a picture of the stock on the longer gun since I'm not sure of the wood variety.

Thanks again guys!
1498180015877655115295.jpg

For the shotguns, take the fore-end wood off and photograph all the markings including proof marks and symbols on the barrels. Pay special attention to the underneath side of the barrels were you don't normally see .

Many shotguns have a name stamped on the barrel that is simply a trade name and does not actually tell you who the real manufacturer was. But sometimes the proof marks will; or the proof marks will at least tell you where and approximately when the gun was made.

The Thos Parker (nice wood!) muzzleloader is probably a Belgian import: http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=305806

"Essex Gun Works" was one of several hundred brands manufactured by Crescent Firearms of Norwich, CT:
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=364601

They're not really "collectible" and there's a limited market for them. If they're really sound and in good shape, you'd probably get the best exposure on trackofthewolf.com. They'll work with you to set a fair price but their commission and the shipping costs will take a big chunk of that.

I'd still vote for cleaning (lightly), oiling and keeping them.

Back
Top Bottom