• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need help with Title/registration on 1982 vehicle.

Bass Akwards

Default rank 5000+ posts
Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
48   0
Reaction score
I am selling a 1982 Supra. This car is an original Ga car that never came with a title/pre1985.
I bought this car from the original owners in Dec 2019, then the whole world took a **** and stalled the project.
During 2020 the tag offices were closed or had a waiting list, mask etc. I went in 2021 to get the car registered in my name, but by that time the car had passed the 10 year mark since it was last registered. At that time I was planning on keeping it, but didn't want to have to take out an insurance policy and everything involved with a non running project car.
When a car passes the 10 year mark, it must be re entered into the system, no big deal, a LEO has to verify the VIN to make sure it is original to the car and not stolen, they fill out a form then back to the tag office and everything should be good.
Now that I am selling and have a buyer, I want to make sure that the new owners don't have any issues getting everything in their names.
My questions are, how difficult is it to get a title issued for it , if that is even possible?
I have two bill of sales, one from the original owners to me, then me to my buyers. What will the tag office look for or require for getting it correctly transferred to the new owners?

Can't get a title anymore. All the BOS together with any previous owners registration records should be good. Had to show copies of the previous owners registrations to gwtbit my name with my the BOS. Again, no title just a new registration receipt. You might have to get it in your name first. Not a big deal, just extra steps.
Mine in this situation was an 1984 vette.

Just write a bill of sale to the new buyer. If the car was registered to you last no issues when they tag it, if it wasn't registered to you then the new buyer will need to have it vin checked. Most other states respect Georgia's no title so if a Tennessee resident purchases a 85 or older and you have the last tag receipt for the car in your name the Tennessee resident should be able to file for a title. Us georgia people dont need a title pre 85 nor will georgia provide you with one unless you already have a title when you buy it from someone

Back
Top Bottom