• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need Internet legal advise - Ruger Charger Rifle...

DMGun

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
213   0
Reaction score
Let's say a person mounts a 16 1\2 barrel and a shoulder stock onto a Charger (pistol) receiver.

I may be interested in buying said item and I don't want to break any laws. What is it classified? Pistol, Rifle, SBR

Thanks - David

It's perfectly legal to convert a pistol into a rifle, and then back again. It must start as a pistol, though. Just make sure you never mount the short barrel at the same time as the stock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I might be concerned if I had the rifle stock but not the rifle barrel, but as long as you have both you're good to go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What about it?

Thompson Center took this issue to the U.S. Supreme Court decades ago.

It amuses me how people respond differently via the internet vs. in person. Face to face you don't want to appear rude, online = FTW!!!

Anyway - I am not up on the laws, which is why I did some searching and then opened this thread asking for assistance from The ODT Community. Thanks for the information, but your presentation could use a little polishing.

The decades-old T/C decision was given minimal consideration by ATF for the next 20 years, and ATF argued that it didn't apply to any guns other than single-shot hunting arms, and that the Court's ruling had no application to returning the gun to pistol configuration after having added a rifle-length barrel and shoulder stock.

It was not until 2011 that ATF accepted the broader principles of the T/C case and approved BOTH pistol-to-rifle conversions AND returning it back to pistol form.

Back
Top Bottom