• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need Internet legal advise - Ruger Charger Rifle...

The decades-old T/C decision was given minimal consideration by ATF for the next 20 years, and ATF argued that it didn't apply to any guns other than single-shot hunting arms, and that the Court's ruling had no application to returning the gun to pistol configuration after having added a rifle-length barrel and shoulder stock.

It was not until 2011 that ATF accepted the broader principles of the T/C case and approved BOTH pistol-to-rifle conversions AND returning it back to pistol form.

Thanks for the information, but your presentation could use a little polishing.
:Cry:

I sense each of those bold letters as individual micro-aggressions.

None of the rules on SBR's and the distinction between rifles and pistols makes enough sense or has enough relevancy to crime control to justify keeping these bizarre laws about barrel length and stocks and vertical vs. slanted vs. horizonal fore-end grips.

Any firearm of any size or shape that shoots regular small arms ammunition not more than one shot per single function of the trigger should be unrestricted as to changing its size, shape, caliber, barrel length, etc.
Pistol, rifle, SBR, sniper rifle, bullpup, what-ever.

But, unfortunately that's not the law. Even with the T/C caselaw and ATF's 2011 approval of what you can do with a PISTOL or pistol receiver, we can't do the same things with a rifle.

I'd love to be able to turn my Ruger 10/22 into a Charger with a 10" barrel, and pistol-grip-only stock, and leave it that way for a few months at a time, and then put it back into rifle form when I am in the mood. But I can't.
Once a rifle, always a rifle.

None of the rules on SBR's and the distinction between rifles and pistols makes enough sense or has enough relevancy to crime control to justify keeping these bizarre laws about barrel length and stocks and vertical vs. slanted vs. horizonal fore-end grips.

Any firearm of any size or shape that shoots regular small arms ammunition not more than one shot per single function of the trigger should be unrestricted as to changing its size, shape, caliber, barrel length, etc.
Pistol, rifle, SBR, sniper rifle, bullpup, what-ever.

But, unfortunately that's not the law. Even with the T/C caselaw and ATF's 2011 approval of what you can do with a PISTOL or pistol receiver, we can't do the same things with a rifle.

I'd love to be able to turn my Ruger 10/22 into a Charger with a 10" barrel, and pistol-grip-only stock, and leave it that way for a few months at a time, and then put it back into rifle form when I am in the mood. But I can't.
Once a rifle, always a rifle.

It's my opinion, which is pretty much worth what you are paying for it, that people are pushing the envelope so far on "shoulder braces" that BATF will have some reaction to them in the future.

The whole SBR, AOW issue has no reason to it. I mean, really, a pistol becomes a NFA item because you put it in the wrong holster?

Back
Top Bottom