Need metric bike mechanic in Senoia area

Jethro01

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
107   1
Reaction score
2F58565A-EA24-42F8-99F9-EF833A4DCB1F.jpeg
Got some issues with a 99 Honda Shadow. “ACE”
Need some advice or maybe someone who can get it running correctly.

Long story..... sat in a barn for 6 years or so... divorce etc... blah blah.
Got her out last year and thrown everything I know at it. Getting it running great and bam! Rode about an hour today. When I got home, Blake smoke at idle. Started popping and pootin. Messed with a bit and running good again just dang black smoke.

clean the carbs...
super silly on these...pull your seat and make sure nothing has been sucked into the airbox.
had one of these come thru the shop with a similar problem. a led light control box was plugging the airbox intake.
i have also seen rags and rats nests in them...
check your filter as well

Long story..... sat in a barn for 6 years or so... divorce etc... blah blah.
Got her out last year and thrown everything I know at it. Getting it running great and bam! Rode about an hour today. When I got home, Blake smoke at idle. Started popping and pootin. Messed with a bit and running good again just dang black smoke.
Sounds like carbs. Easy, but not quick, fix. Put a couple of ounces of Sea Foam in a full tank of gas. Might take a couple of times. That should clean it out. Most likely fix it completely. If not, hit me up and we'll see about rejetting or whatever. Black smoke means a rich condition so plugs may foul in the meantime. Change/clean them if it gets hard to start.

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

Did all that. Has the old coms box in there but tucked to the side. Is it possible the stator going out and not sending enough current could cause this? I noticed it was extremely hot on the cover today. Never really noticed before.

Really appreciate the advice! I’m frustrated with it. Love the bike but can’t get this fixed.

Did all that. Has the old coms box in there but tucked to the side. Is it possible the stator going out and not sending enough current could cause this? I noticed it was extremely hot on the cover today. Never really noticed before.

Really appreciate the advice! I’m frustrated with it. Love the bike but can’t get this fixed.
Its not very likely. Put a meter on it. Rev it and see what the voltage goes to. Should hit about 13.8-14.2VDC on that bike at about 2500 rpm. If it does, it aint the stator. The regulator may get hot. Some do. It's job is to take the AC voltage the stator makes and turn it into 12VDC to run the bike and charge the battery so they can get a little heat. Still sounds like fueling to me.

Its not very likely. Put a meter on it. Rev it and see what the voltage goes to. Should hit about 13.8-14.2VDC on that bike at about 2500 rpm. If it does, it aint the stator. The regulator may get hot. Some do. It's job is to take the AC voltage the stator makes and turn it into 12VDC to run the bike and charge the battery so they can get a little heat. Still sounds like fueling to me.

yep
something went south on it. if it was running good the started crapping out.
most likely need to clean the carbs,new plugs,new air filter.

It wasn’t running at all. Pulled carbs and cleaned and inspected. New enrichment valves and new cv boots? Don’t remember what they are called. We’re torn. New plugs new filter. Tried the seafoam. Tried mmo. Flushed coolant. Cleaned crankcase. Changed oil. Changed drive shaft oil. Replaced regulator. I suspect maybe the jets need to be replaced? It is stock except the resonator cut off the end of the pipes. I am a shade tree mechanic at best. I know enough to dangerous.
Runs and starts no problem. Just stutter occasionally and the black smoke issue. Cleans up when get going. If I juice it sitting I get the heavy puff.

Back
Top Bottom