• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need metric bike mechanic in Senoia area

It wasn’t running at all. Pulled carbs and cleaned and inspected. New enrichment valves and new cv boots? Don’t remember what they are called. We’re torn. New plugs new filter. Tried the seafoam. Tried mmo. Flushed coolant. Cleaned crankcase. Changed oil. Changed drive shaft oil. Replaced regulator. I suspect maybe the jets need to be replaced? It is stock except the resonator cut off the end of the pipes. I am a shade tree mechanic at best. I know enough to dangerous.
Runs and starts no problem. Just stutter occasionally and the black smoke issue. Cleans up when get going. If I juice it sitting I get the heavy puff.
Sounds like its overfueling at idle. The slow/intermediate jet may be a tad too big. Most exhaust mods lean an engine out so it has probably been jetted at some point. If it runs ok and only smokes when you goose it at idle, I'd leave it alone. You'll probably see some popping on decel but that's pretty normal unless it's extreme.

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

when you cleaned the carbs,did you clean out the jets with the small hole with a drill bit? did you force a stiff wire thru them?
the small jet (hole size,not necessarily physical size) is idle to about 1/4 throttle. if it runs good above idle,but smokes at/off idle,it sounds like a primary jet issue.

Thank you both!

Yes the smoke is only at idle and when I goose it. And the first time it was “cleaned” was by a shop. Which is why I have learned all of this. I think I got the shaft on that one. I don’t know what they used on jets. I only used cleaner and air and pulled a single wire from brush. I think you both have confirmed my worst fears. Although I have gotten good at pulling the carbs I hate to do it. Even timed myself. Lol. The enrichment cables are the worst part. So you think just ride and let her smoke?

Now I need tires. Been waiting trying to resolve is issue first Amy suggestions? Seems these have a special size that only Dunlop makes and I don’t wanna spend $1000 on tires.

Thank you both!

Yes the smoke is only at idle and when I goose it. And the first time it was “cleaned” was by a shop. Which is why I have learned all of this. I think I got the shaft on that one. I don’t know what they used on jets. I only used cleaner and air and pulled a single wire from brush. I think you both have confirmed my worst fears. Although I have gotten good at pulling the carbs I hate to do it. Even timed myself. Lol. The enrichment cables are the worst part. So you think just ride and let her smoke?

Now I need tires. Been waiting trying to resolve is issue first Amy suggestions? Seems these have a special size that only Dunlop makes and I don’t wanna spend $1000 on tires.
I'd ride it and let it smoke. Especially if it's only at idle. As for tires, I have no idea. Google the size and see what you find. Hard to believe only one brand makes those tires but Triumph did the same a few years ago.

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

hey
give me a call at my shop today 678-688-1146. i am over in griffin. i think that has the 130-90 or 80-17 on the front,and yep its kinda a dunlop only. but i may be able to hook you up on a set. just check the sizes first and call me.
later
Bob

130/80-18 front
170/70-16 rear

Honda shop in Newnan was helpful. Had some Avon for a decent price installed. I think the front was a little off size though.

I have crap cell service where I live but will try after a while.
Thanks again
Jeff

Back
Top Bottom