• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need opinions on red dot selection

You will only know what an optic looks like to you, after you look through it. I make it to sharpshooters pretty often. You can try one of my guns with an aimpoint T2 there if you like. Most ranges have rental guns, some have red dots on them. Good luck with your search.

Just saw you are in VA. Probably not going to make it to Atlanta.

Good Lord. Quit telling people you can see your Aimpoint just fine with your astigmatism. Everyone has different eyeballs and astigmatisms affect everyone differently. Some can see red dots fine, some cannot.
I can't see my Aimpoint PRO dot worth a darn, but I can run it rather well. If staring at a holographic such as an Eotech, it looks like a fuzzed out mess to me as well. I have severe astigmatism in my dominant eye, not a bit in my offside eye. The key is to focus on your target, not your dot.

I've taught many a new-to-the-technology RDS shooter to run a dot well with various degrees of corrected vision, to include two close friends that cannot legally drive at night due to astigmatism. The whole world looks blown out to them. 🤣

A common complaint is something along the lines of, "How do you aim with this? The whole lens is blown out red (or fuzzy, or a checkmark, etc.)" First check is to ensure the dot isn't cranked too bright for the given environment. Second check is to reiterate what I told them before we started shooting, "It's a dot, not a front sight. Stop staring at it and get eyes on target."

I prefer a dot or LPVO for <100M and a magnified optic for >100M. Dots do run well when ran correctly, regardless of end user in my personal experience. High likelihood that I simply haven't met the right person yet though.

If you have astigmatism, you want a prism optic versus the red dots. I have the SLX 1x Gen 2 from PA and really like it. It has the etched reticle and the illumination is plenty bright during the day.

I also have a Vortex Crossfire RDS and an old Aimpoint CompML XD, and I prefer the SLX over either of the other two. The glass is very clear and because it has an etched reticle, I don’t get that star burst effect that I do with a red dot.
How big is the etched reticle, ive heard there really small ?

Back
Top Bottom