• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need recommendation on BEST electrical diagnosis shop in N. Gwinnett

spistols

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
310   0
Reaction score
Need some recommendations on a real good place to diagnose an electrical drain on my 1990 Chevy 1500. Audio place, or other will work as long as their guys are good!

Get a incandescent (not LED ) test light , remove the negative cable from the battery
Clip the light between the battery post and the cable

If something is using juice the light will light up , and it’s brightness will be in direct proportion to the amount of juice being used

If it’s really dim just glowing slightly not much current draw
If it’s bright , something is using a lot of power

Then start at the first box and start pulling fuses while a helper watches the light
When you pull the fuse that includes whatever is draining the battery the light will go out

Now you know where to start looking
If it’s the fuse for the radio , or the fuse for the dome lights or whatever , you have narrowed it down enough to be able to know where to look for the problem

You might pull all the fuses and the light still is on which will means that whatever is draining the battery is not fed Thru the fuse box

This will include stuff like the headlights and parking lights andbrake lights
Horn etc

It could be the alternator
Removing the wire(s) from the alt will tell

Check that something hasn’t jammed in the glove department preventing the light from going off - ask me how I know and how much money and time it took to find.........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get a incandescent (not LED ) test light , remove the negative cable from the battery
Clip the light between the battery post and the cable

If something is using juice the light will light up , and it’s brightness will be in direct proportion to the amount of juice being used

If it’s really dim just glowing slightly not much current draw
If it’s bright , something is using a lot of power

Then start at the first box and start pulling fuses while a helper watches the light
When you pull the fuse that includes whatever is draining the battery the light will go out

Now you know where to start looking
If it’s the fuse for the radio , or the fuse for the dome lights or whatever , you have narrowed it down enough to be able to know where to look for the problem

You might pull all the fuses and the light still is on which will means that whatever is draining the battery is not fed Thru the fuse box

This will include stuff like the headlights and parking lights andbrake lights
Horn etc

It could be the alternator
Removing the wire(s) from the alt will tell

OK, tried this, and here is what happened- I pulled the negative cable, and put a test light probe between the battery post and the cable- the instant the probe from the test light touches the battery, it goes bright than complete dies out. When I just touch the test light from positive to negative terminals, it shines bright, but again, when put into series between the cable and the negative, the test light completely goes out.

Any ideas?!?

Remove the fuses one at a time and repeat the series testlight procedure.

There are a bunch of always on devices now on vehicles, and some do not age well.

The most troublesome I have found involve the locking system, immobiliser system, courtesy light system, and OIL PRESSURE to fuel-pump "safety" system.

eta: your chevy has the oil pressure to fuel pump circuit that will drain the battery when the oil pressure sensor starts to go wonky.

And these problems are often intermittent, and can also be triggered by interference from outside wireless transmissions, waking the computer up and causing a power drain, then going to sleep again, sometimes many times a night.

Back
Top Bottom