• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need recommendations on long range precision rifles

Those rifles were needed to shoot across the open desert past 1000 yards. 300 WM is a waste inside of a mile for target shooting. and FOI they are looking at going back to the 260 or possibly the 6.5 creedmoor
I did not know that 260 and 6.5 creedmoor were used by the military...
Also Shep, in 2014 some marines had 300 WMs but they were Mk13s., I kind of helped build two of them
That's real nice. I clicked on the web link shadow hunter concepts and see the classes on rifles, I am definitely going to look into taking one with you guys. I see videos on YouTube but the cost of the classes are very reasonable. Thanks

1. That is incorrect. The M24 and the M2010 are US Army Sniper rifles, not the USMC's. The Corps does not use .300WinMag, although they should, it's a great anti-personnel round for Sniping use.

2. Don't compare baseball and cricket. Both use a ball and some sort of bat, but they ain't the same. Don't confuse the real world application of military Sniping with the sport of PRS. Sporting equipment that is best suited to PRS isn't always the same as the tools and weapons that are used for Sniping.
I just forgot what branch of service it was. However I must admit that most of the winners of the long range comps. are running something in the 6mm department. I have seen winners breakdowns and most if not all were shooting something in that size round. I just have the mind set if you are gonna be a bear, be a grizzly. I just love the 300 win mag in a good bolt gun. You have to admit the round has legs and then some.

I like the idea of the 26 Nosler but I have heard the barrel is only good for 1,700 rounds if that. Now that might have been an over zealous anticipation but I caught wind of it somewhere. However if that was true you would have to replace the barrel half way through a long days of long range training. If someone has heard different please clear this up because it just seem realistic to me.

you replace the barrel when its shot out, yes you can see signs that the gun is about to go but why would you take it off in the middle of the day? you aren't shooting 2000 rounds during a LR one or two day class.

I like the idea of the 26 Nosler but I have heard the barrel is only good for 1,700 rounds if that. Now that might have been an over zealous anticipation but I caught wind of it somewhere. However if that was true you would have to replace the barrel half way through a long days of long range training. If someone has heard different please clear this up because it just seem realistic to me.
You shoot 3,400 rounds out of a bolt gun in a day!?

you replace the barrel when its shot out, yes you can see signs that the gun is about to go but why would you take it off in the middle of the day? you aren't shooting 2000 rounds during a LR one or two day class.
I under stand that. It was just a scenario if it did need to be replaced at that particular round count. Maybe Nosler just made the gun for the hunter. Where the gun would just be sighted in every year. I still can't believe it would need replaced at only 1,700 rounds.

Back
Top Bottom