• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need recommendations on lowering my 4x4

greg vess

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Elite Idiot
120   1
Reaction score
I have a 2004 GMC Sierra 1500 are. Cab 4 wheel drive. It's not a high in the air model from the manufacturer. Maybe just a shy higher than a reg truck. I think it has 16 inch wheels so it sits lower than you would think it would. It's not like a Z71 or any similar variant. If I wanted to do a 2 or 3 inch drop what all would be involved in that. I installed a 2 inch drop kit on my Trans AM with Bilstein's. So I know what involved in a car but I am clueless on a truck. I don't go off roading, 4×4 would only be used in snow up here so no probs there. What am I looking at parts wise for lets say a 2 inch in the front and 3 to 4 in the back. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Probably wouldn't be to hard. Couple inches wouldn't be that much different. They make a deeper shackle for leaf springs. It will drop it a couple inches easy. The front will require a kit. But they're pretty easy. Most just require new control arms. 2 inches you shouldn't have to alter any of the drive stuff

Probably wouldn't be to hard. Couple inches wouldn't be that much different. They make a deeper shackle for leaf springs. It will drop it a couple inches easy. The front will require a kit. But they're pretty easy. Most just require new control arms. 2 inches you shouldn't have to alter any of the drive stuff
I saw a kit with tubular A arms and drop shackles for the rest. The only thing I need with this kit is no shock relocation tabs.

They look pretty easy to install. Im dropping mine right now but it's rwd not 4wd. The thing that makes them hard is the 4wd. When you change drive angles you can mess stuff up. Can you just get shorter shocks. That's what I did for mine.

I have a 2004 GMC Sierra 1500 are. Cab 4 wheel drive. It's not a high in the air model from the manufacturer. Maybe just a shy higher than a reg truck. I think it has 16 inch wheels so it sits lower than you would think it would. It's not like a Z71 or any similar variant. If I wanted to do a 2 or 3 inch drop what all would be involved in that. I installed a 2 inch drop kit on my Trans AM with Bilstein's. So I know what involved in a car but I am clueless on a truck. I don't go off roading, 4×4 would only be used in snow up here so no probs there. What am I looking at parts wise for lets say a 2 inch in the front and 3 to 4 in the back. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Just ran across this video if anyone is interested in this topic.

Back
Top Bottom