• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need recommendations on lowering my 4x4

1630885003164.png

Small tires will lower it a few inches.

It's already been said, leave it alone. You'll change suspension dynamics if you do. I'm talking about handling, ride, tire wear, the works. I did think about smaller tires, but the pic above remedies that. Any time you change from factory your opening another avenue for problems. If this is your first 4x4, give it time I think you'll learn to enjoy it. If not, you have two choices. You can sell that one and or get a 2 wheel drive truck in addition. Personally I love my 4x4 truck. I can't see buying a truck without it. Yes it cost more to drive, but when the chips are down you can go almost any time any where. And I had 2x2 for years and been stuck and pushed vehicles more times than I care to remember.

It's already been said, leave it alone. You'll change suspension dynamics if you do. I'm talking about handling, ride, tire wear, the works. I did think about smaller tires, but the pic above remedies that. Any time you change from factory your opening another avenue for problems. If this is your first 4x4, give it time I think you'll learn to enjoy it. If not, you have two choices. You can sell that one and or get a 2 wheel drive truck in addition. Personally I love my 4x4 truck. I can't see buying a truck without it. Yes it cost more to drive, but when the chips are down you can go almost any time any where. And I had 2x2 for years and been stuck and pushed vehicles more times than I care to remember.
There are plenty of aftermarket suspension kits that mtach or improve the oem design and can raise, lower, or just beef up a vehicle. No reason to fear modifying/personalizing a vehicle. Certainly it can be done wrong with cheap or badly designed parts, so if you can't do the work yourself, you need to do more research and pick a reliable shop.

I know it can be done correctly with drop spindles and shock relocation kits among a few parts that needed to do it correctly. Also driveshaft length comes into play and all that I'm completely familiar of these suspension dynamics of any kind of vehicle however, I have decided to leave it alone for now and I'm just going to enjoy it the way it is. It's not a high truck and it's not a low truck it's just kind of a regular 4×4. I would but however like the level of the rear out I might check into that someday because it does set a good two to three inches above the front. Some like that rake but I don't particularly care for it. If I do it I will make sure that everything is done correctly and won't leave anything for chance.

...I would but however like the level of the rear out I might check into that someday because it does set a good two to three inches above the front. Some like that rake but I don't particularly care for it. If I do it I will make sure that everything is done correctly and won't leave anything for chance.

Interestingly, the goofy rake was driven, not by style, but by a pedestrian impact law that was passed (I think) around 2000. The front bumper was mandated to be at a certain height, much lower than the rear on a 4wd truck. It's what created the market for leveling kits in the early 2000s.

Mine is a 2004. So that seems completely logical. Well I will be damned. Now I know why. Thank you for that piece of trivia. Makes sense of it all. So the rear leveling kits should have all I need to make it right.

All that height difference put all the stress on the front brakes, interferes with handling not to mention tire wear. So much undue stress on front components. The manufacturer takes the easiest route possible you know they do. It's the bottom line that counts not the performance of the truck.

Back
Top Bottom