• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

NEED SOME 9mm Ammo Advice - Low Recoil

BLIP

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
STOCKS REFINISHED
657   1
Reaction score
Ok here... My wife has a Glock 43 and she is a smaller woman, she feels that the gun is too snappy for her to feel comfortable for CC. I pulled out my Walther PP99 (the pistol in 40) to show her what a full size would look, and feel like (She was looking at the Canik Elite S for CC) and she realized that won't cut the "C" in conceal... SO, back we are for now with the 43...

My question is this; is there a range ammo with less recoil for her to practice with? How about a SD ammo? We usually use Federal big bucket stuff at the range and Hornady CD 115gr for protection.

I would eventually like her to get the Canik, because I don't have one and it is my job to test fire all handguns at least 2 times a month for maintenance reasons... :thumb:

Recommendations?????

IMO 9mm is going to feel like 9mm - I don't know of any ammo that makes it shoot any softer other than reloads.

My wife doesn't love shooting anything other than a .22 and she's a small lady.....but I feel that with time I'll slowly get her to get used to it and hopefully she'll want to shoot more. There's no substitute for lots of training and experience. I've told her that I used to have the same kind of reaction to an explosion going off between my hands, but after a few thousand rounds it doesn't faze you anymore. I believe any grown woman can handle 9mm competently with enough training...and a good attitude ;)

Anything 147 will have less perceived recoil due to lower muzzle blast, no sonic crack, and a less 'snappy' cycling of slide. 147gr lawman through targetsports USA comes to mind. If handloading, any 124 to 147 over some fast powder should be pleasant compared to factory junk. I think starting her skill development with a larger platform (19, or a Canik?) or small caliber (the rejected 42) would be useful to get her some trigger time.

The newer G42s with the upgrades have a great trigger. Load it with XTPs and she will be good to go. In my opinion this is the best option for women that do not like the recoil of the 9mm in a small firearm.

Back
Top Bottom