• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need some advice on issue with my duramax diesel

whitelightnin22

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
Hard Workin’ Honky
139   0
Reaction score
Hey guys I bought an 04 GMC 2500 hd truck with the LB7 Duramax diesel about 11 months ago. She’s got 288K miles on her but for the deal I got I couldn’t pass it up. Since Ive had it Ive had no major issues except minor things like window motors going out, loose steering, etc. However the other day I was on the job and fired it up getting ready to leave. It started makings this god awful racket that sounded like a major electrical glitch coming from under the truck. It would do it both idling and driving. Didn’t seem to effect driving at all. It sporadically still does it yet I never have the time to pinpoint source of the noise. Earlier today it did it while I was pulling up to our hunting property. I had just enough time to slide under the truck to hear it sound like it was winding down then stopped again. This is out of my pay grade so do any of you fellas have clue what it is??

Well if you could be a little more vague I'm sure one of us could help you.....

But seriously we need more information. What side of the truck is it on? Left right top bottom? And lights on on the dash? Everything working properly?

Did you check the starter bolts to make sure they didn’t back out. My F-250 had a problem with the starter bolts backing out, so I had to Loctite them.
Lock title instead of lock washers ? I would hope I don’t have to remove those starter bolts ! They will be fun to get out (even with an impact IF you can get it in there to hit it) . :)

I will cross that bridge when I get there. 😂
With enough extensions and swivels you can indeed impact them loose lol
Sometimes you can put a little heat to it it helps….if you can concentrate the flame also.
Whenever you go to remove them, that is. Lol

(But all this is moot at this point in time.)

Did you check the starter bolts to make sure they didn’t back out. My F-250 had a problem with the starter bolts backing out, so I had to Loctite them.
The bottom bolt was somewhat loose but the top had to be impacted off. The hot in the solenoid was melted. The bolt would wiggle so I knew it was pointless in trying to just tighten it back up. Took the starter off and off to Oreilly’s. Only real positive side was I pretty much got the new starter half priced. Our mechanics nephew has a commercial account with them so it literally knocked off like $150.

Back
Top Bottom