• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need some advice!

Thanks all! It was the legion I was thinking of. I’ve got his dd214. Going to funeral home in the morning, just trying to line my ducks.
I too lost my dad recently. He was a WWII vet. I contacted the VFW post and they are providing an Honor Guard that will perform a 21 gun salute at the burial site and an American flag for his casket that will be presented to our family. As someone else mentioned, he's receiving a fee military designation medallion for his headstone. Google veteran's burial benefits. I hope that helps.

All my grandfather got for 4 years in the South Pacific was the small marker to go at the foot of his grave. That was 1990 so things may be different now.

VA will provide a grave marker. Often this is worked out by the funeral home or cemetery administrator.

Entitled to an American flag from the VA

No cost burial-internment in a National Cemetery. (Nevermind. I see you are planning on using an existing plot)

Funeral Honors information: https://www.cem.va.gov/military_funeral_honors.asp

The American Legion also provides Honors for Veteran funerals.

When my step dad passed away in 2020 the funeral home gave us the option of a burial at the memorial site in Canton. Mom declined but they said they would handle all the paperwork as long as he had his DD214 which he did.

Sorry to hear that......

Thanks all! It was the legion I was thinking of. I’ve got his dd214. Going to funeral home in the morning, just trying to line my ducks.

My condolences on your loss, contacting the Legion is one of the first steps to take. They will do what they can to see your father off in a manner that he deserves as a veteran.

Back
Top Bottom