• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need some help identifying the model and value of this S&W .38 snub

A34

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
16   0
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

My dad has this S&W stainless .38 snub. Could someone tell what model it's known as? Also, what current market value is? It's not for sale, just want to give him some info on it.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20170104_153121.jpg
    20170104_153121.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 123
the model should be engraved on the side when you open the cylinder but it looks like a 649-(insert gen number here) pre-lock or model 49 no dash

check on the back of the grips to see if the number on them match the serial number

Thanks guys, I don't have the gun with me, but next time I visit, I'll get the model number. Naturally, the pic I took of that side was blurry when I checked it.

Looks kinda like a nickle model 38

A model 38 "Bodyguard" was always an aluminum alloy frame gun.
Therefore, it could not have a bright nickle finish like this. It could only get a dull satin / gray finish.
This one has to be the Model 49, which has a steel frame.
Regular carbon steel, not stainless. It was offered in this mirror-bright high polish nickle plated finish.

P.S. I'm not a S&W collector or historian, but I've never seen a S&W small-frame revolver that came in bright stainless steel, like it could be mistaken for nickel plating. So considering how bright the finish looks on that gun in the original post, I'm thinking it's nickel-plated carbon steel-- which means model 49. Not model 38 (aluminum alloy) nor 649 (stainless steel, but with a dull gray finish).

Back
Top Bottom