• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need some help identifying the model and value of this S&W .38 snub

Where are you coming up with this sort of incorrect info? Did you make it up?
Look at your first sentence in your last post. Why hand out advice if you aren't a collector or historian...and seem to have no clue what your talking about

Maybe I should hand out incorrect legal advice and just preface it with "I'm not a lawyer and have no idea what I'm talking about....but..."
:wacko:

I just love the way he was so definitive about it being a M49 and could not possibly be a M38. The sad part is, it is very simple to look up information on the M38 or the M49, and not just in The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson. Tons of info on line. But, you do have to take the time to look up the info before you post....well, that is if accuracy means anything.

A34, if you want some information on the gun, you will need to take pictures of both sides to identify the model and to access the value based on condition. There are many on here who can give you an approximate shipping year for your Smith. To look up the year, the serial number is required, but you don't have to give the complete serial number. When giving out the serial number use "X's" for the last three numbers. The approximate year can still be determined.

To find out what the model is, look on the crane when the cylinder is open. It will look like this.

The serial number is located on the butt of the grip frame, as seen in this picture.

If you remove the grips, the serial number may or may not be stamped in the wood on the right grip panel. If the serial number stamped in the wood of the grip is the same as the serial number on the butt of the grip frame, it simply means the grips can be verified that they are original to the gun.

Lastly, if the gun has a nickel finish, on the left side of the grip frame, there will be a "N" stamped in the medal indicating it is an original nickel finish gun. It will look like this.

Hope this helps. There are many on here that can help you to find out more information on your Smith.

Thanks for the info fellas !

I hope to get back to my dad's in the next few weeks and will take better pics. Now, I'm really curious about it. I don't think he bought it new, or has any paperwork.

I've never seen a "dull/satin/matte" nickel Smith revolver...only ones that were mfg'd in stainless.
I've always thought the point of nickel plating was to make it shine. :confused:

Example....my Model 37 (don't have a pic of my M38 handy but looks the same finish)

SW37a.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom