• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need some help (please)

jon-d

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
534   3
Reaction score
Got a new Bergara BMP and was putting a Dead Air brake on it last night.

Barrel was vised and tightened down securely and brake was being installed using an armorers wrench (Like I have done numerous times before). Torque wrench set at 30 ft lbs and clicked just shy of 12' oclock. Set it to 35 ft lb to get it to aligned.

Got it almost timed, went to put the last turn on it and the damn brake broke. I mean it just cracked and the end fell off. I now have no idea how to get this brake off. There are no flat surfaces left due to where it broke. Maybe I did something wrong, maybe the brake had a problem, maybe I just put too much ass behind it. Regardless I am now lost.

Is it all now trashed, can I have the barrel cut down (it is currently 24"), anyone I can take it to?

Little humor.......I believe it will still work as a mount. Of course I am kidding.

Guys I am stumped and now have a $1300 paperweight. Any help appreciated it advance.

Attachments

• IMG_0478.jpg
    IMG_0478.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0479.jpg
    IMG_0479.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0480.jpg
    IMG_0480.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0477.jpg
    IMG_0477.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 78
And, unless your torque wrench has been certified recently, do not trust click type wrenches to be accurate.

And, unless your torque wrench has been certified recently, do not trust click type wrenches to be accurate.
Calibrated? No seriously its never been calibrated. It seems that sucker is on there. Maybe I tried to put it on with 100 ft lbs and just didnt realize it. That is very possible.

Vice grips are an option but I am worried about making things worse. Which at this point may not even be possible.

Got a new Bergara BMP and was putting a Dead Air brake on it last night.

Barrel was vised and tightened down securely and brake was being installed using an armorers wrench (Like I have done numerous times before). Torque wrench set at 30 ft lbs and clicked just shy of 12' oclock. Set it to 35 ft lb to get it to aligned.

Got it almost timed, went to put the last turn on it and the damn brake broke. I mean it just cracked and the end fell off. I now have no idea how to get this brake off. There are no flat surfaces left due to where it broke. Maybe I did something wrong, maybe the brake had a problem, maybe I just put too much ass behind it. Regardless I am now lost.

Is it all now trashed, can I have the barrel cut down (it is currently 24"), anyone I can take it to?

Little humor.......I believe it will still work as a mount. Of course I am kidding.

Guys I am stumped and now have a $1300 paperweight. Any help appreciated it advance.

Use a strap or chain wrench along with some gentle heat.

Calibrated? No seriously its never been calibrated.

Working in a gov't certified shop, we were required to remove all click type T-wrenches from the property. Company owned stuff were re-certified every 90 to 180 days, IIRC.

There are labs that certify measuring instruments, including torque wrenches.

Back
Top Bottom