Need some ideas on how to take up old electric fence wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

thorn

Default rank <2000 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
107   0
Reaction score
I got about a linear mile of electric fence wire that I need to re-spool. I aint got no fancy equipment, or a tractor. What I do have is a side by side atv and a 4 wheeler, both have trailer hitches, if that helps with ideas.

Bought land and the last owner let his electric fence just plop over after last year's corn harvest and now it's starting to get overgrown. I left it alone thinking he'd replant / reuse the fence this season, but it looks like he aint interested. Now I gotta get after it before the grass grows over it too much more, so that the dang wire won't get tangled up in future equipment. So now it's my problem and I need to clean it up.

Ideas that don't break the bank or the back are welcome. (posts that indicate HE OUGHTA DO IT or SUE HIM AND MAKE HIM COME GET IT are not helpful, those things aint gonna happen.)

Thanks!

get some wire spools,make an axle for it,hitch to vehicle and wrap a few wraps around it Straddle the wire with vehicle and start driving with wire under vehicle. You will have to figure how ro create tension on the spool

shopping.jpg

If it's a fairly straight pull, get one of the vehicles, jack up the drive axle, take a wheel off and wrap the wire round the studs. Fire it up and see if the wire will coil up round the studs. I've seen it work, but the wire has to be strong enough to not break due to drag.

Pick a gear that doesn't spin it up too fast ! Probably have to stop, cut, remove then repeat several times depending on the stud spacing.

If it's a fairly straight pull, get one of the vehicles, jack up the drive axle, take a wheel off and wrap the wire round the studs. Fire it up and see if the wire will coil up round the studs. I've seen it work, but the wire has to be strong enough to not break due to drag.

Pick a gear that doesn't spin it up too fast ! Probably have to stop, cut, remove then repeat several times depending on the stud spacing.
Great idea I think. But… I’ll add that I’d bolt up a rim and spool it up on that. I would think you could find a cheap atv rim some where

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom