• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

NEED SOME INPUT FROM YOU BOLT ACTION BOYS

greg vess

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Elite Idiot
120   1
Reaction score
I've been thinking about taking a relatively inexpensive gun bolt gun rather and putting a really good trigger on it and then stick it in on a really good stock. And bed the action and float the barrel and all that. What I'm stuck with is what is the best gun for the money for under 600 bucks. I want something that's got good accuracy and what I'm seeing here is the Remington 783, The Savage, and the Ruger American. And are they even worth putting some money into. I'm not a fan of synthetic stocks and you can pick up a nice laminate stock for a couple hundred bucks. And put a really good trigger on it and good scope. What are you guys think out there as far as which gun to look at seriously?

Ruger American. My brother and dad own a couple. Nice rifles for $350-$400. The after market scene is starting to pick up too. I would get the predator with the heavier, threaded barrel, and either a Boyd’s or BC stock. The trigger should be fine. If you don’t like the set trigger thing they have, timney has a nice upgrade.

And with the Ruger American you have a really wide choice in chamberings. As 300_whisper 300_whisper says, you will want to change the stock though. The hollow polymer stock they come with must be a bloody nightmare on the bigger caliber models.

You want to put racing rims, tires and suspension on a Chevy Spark?
1672780300504.png

they rally race the spark lol

Just an observation that buying a less expensive rifle then adding stuff adds up $$ quick. $100 here, $200 there, ....

One often sees suggestion to buy a Tikka as a "better" cheap bolt rifle. $10 spring does wonders for the already good Tikka trigger.
Well you know me and tinkering around with guns. I would feel a closer link with the rifle if I had half way built it my self. I was looking at the Savage 110 Apex Hunter for a decent base since Savage's are so accurate out of the box. With a little TLC I could improve on accuracy and have a rifle that is a semi custom job. I am just asking what's base good base to start with. Plus I don't have 800-900 bucks just to plop down at once. I could spread the cost over a four or five months period. At the end have a good looking rifle that looks the way I want it. However, I did forget about Bagara. That's a great gun to have right out of the gate and just put a laminate stock on and fancy up a little. Just buy one of the lesser expensive jobs and go on from there. Maybe like the B-14 Hunter. Thanks I forgot about them. I would hold off a month or two and put a little extra in the starting point. I just need a project rifle. I have a 1911 I am picking up next month but I want a rifle to do kind of at the same time. I have had my fill of AR-15's for a while. Got plenty and I feel like I am good there.

Back
Top Bottom