• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

NEED SOME INPUT FROM YOU BOLT ACTION BOYS

Bottom line is do what you enjoy! Likely the cheapest barreled action will be a howa 1500 variant.

You can then get a drop floor plate or aics bottom metal and put it in whatever stock you like. The ruger American predator is great as it sits but SEVERELY limited in upgrade potential. Savage has a lot of options as well but doesn’t seem to cater to selling actions like howa does.
i totally get the drive to build… it is why I build guns and knives as well. I just don’t have and won’t buy the level of precision tools to blueprint and built a truly amazing bolt gun that will go the distance. I leave that to the guys with lathes, milling machines, CNCs and micrometers 👍

Just do that. Get a Ruger American predator, Boyd’s stock, AICS DBM, and timney trigger, sans scope you’ll be under a grand.

The only options for a “cheap” custom build are the macbros and the new aero receiver.

All the custom actions have sky rocketed in price this year. Gone are the days of the $800 starter custom action.

You can go Tikka too, but then you’re climbing in price. There’s also the savage axis that’s been recommended but not a fan. I think they are hideous and the bolt lift and cycling are atrocious.
Agreed. I think the Axis bolt when it pulled all the way back is horrid. You can do a full clock rotation with the bolt. It literally defines lack of precision. Accurate they may be but feel is not their fortie. I did like the American I saw the other day. It had a ported brake the action wasn't as sloppy. I will give Tikka a look just in case I work the action and just can't live without it. Then I will step up to the pump. I mean I pay 400 for a AR barrel and not even bat a Lash. I should be prepared to at least buy a decent bolt platform so it's worth the time and money after it's done.

I like this as well. This is not out the realm of possibility. I would spend money for this if Christianson Arms is what I've heard they are.

I like this as well. This is not out the realm of possibility. I would spend money for this if Christianson Arms is what I've heard they are.
Stay away from Christianson. All hype. I've had bad experiences with one of their rifles and customer service and have worked with many of their rifle that were not mine. Completely unimpressed.

I was under the impression a good action was 700 bucks. So what would be your recipe to start with. Just give me a recommendation on a decent action and barrel to start with if I go that route.
New ARC Coup action ($899). Pva barrel in appropriate caliber ($600 but sometime cheaper). Bravo chassis $400, trigger and optics and you are set with a custom bolt rifle that you can upgrade as you want. Should be easily 1/2 MOA depending upon caliber and trigger and skills.

New ARC Coup action ($899). Pva barrel in appropriate caliber ($600 but sometime cheaper). Bravo chassis $400, trigger and optics and you are set with a custom bolt rifle that you can upgrade as you want. Should be easily 1/2 MOA depending upon caliber and trigger and skills.
That action looks like a piece of jewelry. I LOVE IT!

Back
Top Bottom