• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

NEED SOME INPUT FROM YOU BOLT ACTION BOYS

I'll raise my hand for the Ruger American platform as a very budget-friendly option with a moderate aftermarket to make it yours without going hog wild. Stock/chassis of your preference, nice trigger, and glass to suit your intended use.

My buddy at work started the chain reaction of Ruger American ownership when he snagged up a Ranch 7.62×39. I was impressed enough to go grab a Predator .308 of my own. Then my wife got a Compact 7mm-08, followed by me getting a Ranch 300BO. All 4 are excellent for their primary/secondary uses of hunting/target shooting.

Remington 700 is the Chevy small block of the rifle world though, so a 700 pattern would top my list if the modification bug has a chance of really sinking its teeth in.

Funny how a sub $600 diy rifle turns into a $1k+ custom recommendations.

The Ruger American should do fine. I'd be inclined to buy the American Predator in 6.5 Grendel, comes threaded & even uses AR style mags.
That's why I ask if they were even worth the money to begin with. I am not saying 600 is the cap but it was more of just a question. I needed input on those to rule them out or just step up on my in initial investment. I have been wrapped up in AR's for the last ten years I have lost touch with bolt guns all together. I another 300 bucks is not that big of a deal when it comes down to it. Hell I spend more than 300 dollars on a AR barrel.

That's why I ask if they were even worth the money to begin with. I am not saying 600 is the cap but it was more of just a question. I needed input on those to rule them out or just step up on my in initial investment. I have been wrapped up in AR's for the last ten years I have lost touch with bolt guns all together. I another 300 bucks is not that big of a deal when it comes down to it. Hell I spend more than 300 dollars on a AR barrel.

To stay to your original point, minus scope you’re probably going to be at $700 if you swap out stock and trigger. If no trigger you’ll be at $550ish.

If you jump up, I recommend the Bergara HMR for $900ish.

I understand, I was really referencing the $1,700 Waypoint that was recommended earlier.

I have a savage axis II .308 in stainless. The bolt runs rough, its hideous looking and the ergos are not perfect but it will shoot a cold bore group into damn near a ragged hole at 100 yards. Pretty astonishing if you consider it was $300! Now if you heat the barrel up she starts to open up so it’s just a beat through the woods deer rifle. I have a old school stainless Rem 700 sps varmint contour in 223 shortened to 19” and recrowned that will shoot one ragged hole all damn day and she was $650 circa 2001. I also have a stainless vanguard in 223 and a savage 110 scout in .308. All 4 of these rifles will outshoot most including myself at more modest ranges with the load each one prefers. You want to hit the X ring and group at a 1000 is lotsa time and $$$$$ Just get hits and ring steel out to 600? $$$$ or fill the freezer at 300 and in? $$$
A cheap rifle will shoot if you get on the trigger enough, understand its mechanical limits and lay off the stimulants!

Back
Top Bottom