• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

NEED SOME INPUT FROM YOU BOLT ACTION BOYS

I don't want to start out with the cheapest platform. Hence the reason why I ask in the initial post are they even worth the metal that's in them. I originally thought 600 to 700 would make a decent start but I am coming to realize that might not be the case. Anything mechanical fascinates me and I want to learn and build on it. I am going raise my initial starting point and buy a older well kept rifle that could benefit from upgrades. I can find something. This is more about learning and getting into bolt guns to expand on what I have already learned about guns.

If that's your objective and you're not super-concerned about the chambering, then while I'm a strong advocate for the Ruger American, I'm gonna change tack and say you should maybe look for a used, older Remington 700. The aftermarket upgrade opportunities for tinkering etc are endless.

Savage is the easiest DIY action and lots of industry support for barrels, chassis, stocks. Built three - accurate but action is clunky. Tikka is next easiest (getting OEM barrel off a hassle usually) with lots of support. With inflation, supply chain BS, all the actions are going up in price.
One of the driving factors of starting now. Times are tough and people are unloading lesser needed items. I will trip onto something up here. These are so many households with guns a handful of cash can speak loudly when your car payment is due and you are tight a couple of months. Or I could trade a AR for a decent starting point. We will see what comes up. I am sure I will find something. My initial post was a thermometer. Like we use to say in the car business, hit them with a number and take their temperature. LOL

You want to put racing rims, tires and suspension on a Chevy Spark?
This was my spark. I did 127 mph in the 1/4 mile and would pull a Corvette so hard on the highway it would suck the paint off.
IMG_0223.JPG

If I would have said 900 in my first post I would have gotten a bunch of post saying just buy a 2000 dollar rifle and call it good.
Yeah... sorry I suggested the Waypoint. :doh: The Ruger American is a great platform and you will like it alot. It shoots way above it's price class. First thing you can do is a really cheap cheek riser that will fix how low the comb height is on the basic stock. Second, I recommend the Mcarbo spring swap. Third, if you buy the newer models you can order the AICS conversion kit from Ruger for about $60 that move you away from the rotary mag.
I just kept running into tweaks that I wanted to do that were going to keep running the price up.

Back
Top Bottom