• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need some reloading data advice for an M1 Garand and M1A

TacticalMountaineer

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
103   0
Reaction score
Been doing some pistol reloading and now looking to reload for my big boys. If possible I would like to use the same bullet but not a big deal if I can not. So what is your favorite reload data for the M1 Garand and M1A?

Personally i like hodgdon 4895 with a 150 gn boat tail bullet @46.0. Garand likes it too. 4895 is a good powder that is close to milspec for the older rifles. Works great in my 308 as well. Shoot it through my m1 and 03a3.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

It's much more important to tune your load to each individual rifle than it is for pistols. I've had a difference in .2 grains more than double group size. It's no problem using the same bullet but if you are chasing maximum accuracy be prepared to experiment with other weights.

Here is the load data I use:

M1 Garand
--Bullet: 175gr SMK
--Primer: CCI #34
--Powder: 45gr IMR 4895

M14/M1A
--Bullet: 175gr SMK
--Primer: CCI #34
--Powder: 39gr IMR 4895

Just be aware of the garand op rod sensitivity. Go too slow and you can bend it, too fast and cycling issues. Both 4895 or imr 4064 are acceptable powders. The Hornady manual has a whole section.

Just be aware of the garand op rod sensitivity. Go too slow and you can bend it, too fast and cycling issues. Both 4895 or imr 4064 are acceptable powders. The Hornady manual has a whole section.

I have both the Hornady 8th and 9th editions. Both have separate sections on reloading for military style rifles. An excellent resource...........

Back
Top Bottom