• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need Suppressor Advice

Your expectations may be a bit high! You might want to try out a 9mm or 45acp can, before committing.

I shot two before a couple of years back and wasn’t impressed

But I don’t know if it was my expectations or the quality of the suppressor

That’s why now what I’m looking for is recommendations for the best out there

Don't forget you'll need to submit passport photos and finger prints for each person on your trust who will have access and can legally own the NFA items

Trusts seem to be moving slower than individual filings from what I've seen

Just make sure your responsible parties are responsible

There are still many valid reasons to have a trust though I just don't have any loved ones I care to share with at the moment lol

Don't forget you'll need to submit passport photos and finger prints for each person on your trust who will have access and can legally own the NFA items

Trusts seem to be moving slower than individual filings from what I've seen

Just make sure your responsible parties are responsible

There are still many valid reasons to have a trust though I just don't have any loved ones I care to share with at the moment lol

Neither do I. I had my wife on as a co-trustee but amended her to being a beneficiary.

If quiet is really important to you, and you're going to run this can with subsonics to get that extra quiet sound, I'd suggest you forget about having one can to use for both .45 and 9mm.
Get a good quality 9mm suppressor. The better fit between the bullet and the baffle openings will give you better sound reduction. Use 147 grain (or even 158 grain) subsonics.

That being said, I don't really need "Hollywood quiet" most of the time I shoot suppressed. I just want it to be hearing-safe, so I can skip the ear muffs if I want. Or maybe just use the little foam plugs only, and not them and the over-the-head muffs. I don't mind if my neighbors HEAR my shots, as long as I'm not being unreasonably loud and disturbing them from enjoying their home and their yard.

I'd get a dual-caliber suppressor if it were me, to save money. I'd give up a little bit of performance for that.

I shot two before a couple of years back and wasn’t impressed

But I don’t know if it was my expectations or the quality of the suppressor

That’s why now what I’m looking for is recommendations for the best out there
Thanks - I’m seeing that the osprey 45 isn’t user serviceable - does that include cleaning ?

The Osprey is a sealed can so you can't open it up. It has a lot of internal volume so you don't need to clean it regularly. A couple thousand rounds and it might even sound better but if the need does arise to clean it you can soak it in WD-40 or mineral spirits. Most rifle cans are sealed too and they never really need cleaning because of the high pressure of the rounds so don't let being non-user serviceable turn you off. I have a Osprey 9 and its a good can but if I was only going to have 1 9mm can it would be the Octane 9HD.

I have an Osprey 45, its been wonderful from 9mm to .45ACP. Im purchasing a Rugged Obsidian and that is a modular can that can be ran in 2 configurations. Long and short. I like buying the .45 cans because I can use them on smaller calibers and get more use out of them. The Obsidian is user serviceable so I would lean more to that and you can shoot .22. But with your .22 handguns being small, the non .22 cans will have more weight hanging off the end of the muzzle making it "cumbersome" for some. If you were just shooting 9mm and .22 I would suggest the Griffin Optimus. If you want to be safe with all bases covered I'd get a SilencerCo Hybrid for .45 and down and just a dedicated .22 can. Plus the Hybrid can be used on pistols and rifles along with the Griffin Optimus

The Osprey is a sealed can so you can't open it up. It has a lot of internal volume so you don't need to clean it regularly. A couple thousand rounds and it might even sound better but if the need does arise to clean it you can soak it in WD-40 or mineral spirits. Most rifle cans are sealed too and they never really need cleaning because of the high pressure of the rounds so don't let being non-user serviceable turn you off. I have a Osprey 9 and its a good can but if I was only going to have 1 9mm can it would be the Octane 9HD.
allamericaninfidel allamericaninfidel Where are you located? Spikey Spikey SilencerCo pistons only?
When I got mine I ordered thru Buds Gun Shop in KY. They came from a LEO affiliated outfit in I think it was Massachusetts. $ 250 for all the pistons and fixed barrel adapter. This was in Feb of 2017 If this doesn't help you let me know and I'll look thru my receipts for the receipt on it. I really do like my Osprey !

Back
Top Bottom