• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need the Best 1911/2011 Gunsmith

Rambler

Default rank <2000 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
238   0
Reaction score
Hi all, I have a 2011 race gun in 38 super comp that I am having problems with. The problem occurs when the barrel is unlocking from the slide after firing a round. It seems the locking lugs on the barrel and the slide are coming into contact and locking the pistol up. The only way to get the pistol apart is to drive out the slide stop with a hammer and punch, then the barrel and slide will slide off the frame. The first time this happened it cracked the slide all the way down the right side of the slide. The pistol was returned to the builder, he replaced the slide and the barrel and returned the pistol. He included a letter stating he would no longer work on the pistol. The pistol lasted 639 rounds before having problems again. I disassemble the pistol and found the barrel link and slide stop are damaged. I have tried different length barrel links with the same results. I need the best gunsmith to get this thing going. Any and all help is welcome.

Lynn “Doc” Holt at Specialized Firearms in Carrolton.

Cogen at Accurate Plating and Weaponry in Alabama near Dothan.

John Harrison in Kennasaw.

Don Williams at The Action Works in Chino Arizona.

Those are some that I have used.

your problem is that none of them will really be wanting to fix someone else’s mistakes.

This sounds kind of like a "fit a barrel" job. Am I missing something? I have used Novak before. There are a lot of good options but I think I would try one of 1006's recommendations. Novak, Wilson, C&S are some other options. Novak people answer the phone if you call them. I thought Harrison only does full builds (aka good smiths have a lot of work).

I am about tired of sinking money and time in this thing. It cracked the slide in March of 19, sent it back to the builder, he kept it until February of 20. I have shot 3 matches with it this year and now it is down again.

I am about tired of sinking money and time in this thing. It cracked the slide in March of 19, sent it back to the builder, he kept it until February of 20. I have shot 3 matches with it this year and now it is down again.

Good grief. That sucks.

Was the barrel damaged, the first time?
Did the link break?

With what I can see looking at the picture, it is impossible to make an educated guess as to what caused the issue.

My guess is that it happens when the barrel gets hot after a few shots, and the cure might be to take a little metal off of the frame where the barrel chamber mouth sits-I think it is officially referred to as the “frame bridge”. You would also need to verify the the ramp cut is extending far enough down into the mag well.

My Delta Elite 10mm 1911 used to lock up with a brand new Bar-Sto barrel, once the barrel heated up. The frame bridge had to be milled down just a few thousands. That gun did not have a ramped barrel. Once this was done, it ran great.

You may need a different link after the frame am is modded.

I would call Accurate Plating and Weaponry on that problem, if you want the fastest turn around on a permanent fix.

Back
Top Bottom