• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need towing advice - weight distributing hitch

gh1950

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
105   0
Reaction score
I have a travel trailer I tow occasionally.

Tow vehicle is a short bed F-150 with 4.6 V8. Towing package. Truck is very well maintained.

Trailer is at the upper middle of the towing range.

I don't tow it often or far. I don't have any problems with swaying, but then I don't go more than 60 MPH with the trailer, if that.

This is sort of my "forever" truck, so I'm not interested in getting a more robust vehicle.

So Question, are weight distributing hitches worth the trouble?

Do you use one?

I always use mine and would not tow without it especially with a short wheel base truck. I think you will notice a big difference if you use one. Its much safer. It's worth the cost.

It's not that expensive, looks like it's mostly a PITA to put on and take off. Think I will get one.

Have it in the shop, hope I live long enough to get it out. Geez, slow, no communication.

It's not that expensive, looks like it's mostly a PITA to put on and take off. Think I will get one.
Its not bad to put on and off. Usde to use one almost daily, once you hook it up a couple times and get it set right youll get the hang of it, its no big deal

Reactions: MRM
I just re-read the fast, often, or far part of the op.
Not worth the trouble.

It would be nice outside of that.
It would probably help in a panic situation though.

I tow our camper locally (<10 miles and 45MPH) without the weigh distributing hitch but would not think about leaving home without it if I'm hitting the interstate. Once you get it setup right, it makes a ton of difference. We just did a Tybee trip and I pretty much ran 70MPH the whole way (once I got out of ATL) with no issues.

Back
Top Bottom