• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need Winchester 1400 magazine valve cap drilled and tapped... *With pics*

alnen

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
231   0
Reaction score
Long story short, I bought a sling stud kit for my 1400 that was wrong (the title listed the guns that DON'T with with the kit, lol)

Anyway, I don't want to go through all the time and effort of attempting to return this. Instead, I would like to have the cap modified for this to work.

Who can help me and what will you charge me for, if you don't mind?

Pic 1 shows where the sling stud will go, pic 2 shows the sling stud that needs to be installed (the closest to the camera in the pic).

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220607-141249.png
    Screenshot_20220607-141249.png
    750.3 KB · Views: 24
  • PXL_20220607_181157314.jpg
    PXL_20220607_181157314.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 24
Should be fairly straightforward. Any decent gunsmith can do that for you in a jiffy and it shouldn't cost a fortune either. I would try CMshoot first if it is close to you. I would do it free but I don't live down there anymore.

All you need to do is drill a hole in the rear stock because that one stud is just nothing but a regular screw. You put a drill bit slightly smaller than the screw itself and it'll cut its own path however, if you don't have that kind of confidence you might to leave it to the pro. If you want to do it yourself just pencil up on top of the cap one line vertical and one line horizontal 12 and 6 on the vertical three and nine on the horizontal. That will get you dead center in the cap. Take a center punch and put and tap it pretty good right in the middle that'll keep your drill bit from walking. This and then identify the threads by matching them up at your home Depot or Lowe's. Once you get the thread pitch you can buy the necessary tap kit. It will come with the correct drill bit and the tap. Just go slowly and add oil every few seconds or so. I know it sounds scary but you can do it. You got to start somewhere. It's not difficult you should be able to find a YouTube video that will tutor your right through it.

Dallas is not too far from Marietta you could just drop it off by CMshoot he could fix you right up. I wouldn't think it would cost a lot doesn't take a lot time if he's got the right tools available. Which I would assume he does. He's the only one I'd let touch my gun if I didn't do my own work myself.

Back
Top Bottom