• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need your advice on mechanical broadheads.

Bear44

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
213   0
Reaction score
I have never had good luck with mechanicals and they cost me the biggest deer of my life last year. However, since I have changed over to a crossbow, the size of a fixed broad head is limited. I used one with a small enough diameter to fit yesterday and the results were simply unacceptable. Sooo, I want to try a mechanical again. I want at least a 2 inch diameter cut.

I researched on line and there are always at least 10% one or two star ratings on every one I have seen. Poor accuracy, opening in flight or failure to open on the target.

A 10% failure rate sucks! What are you other crossbow shooters using and what do you think of them?

I have never had good luck with mechanicals and they cost me the biggest deer of my life last year. However, since I have changed over to a crossbow, the size of a fixed broad head is limited. I used one with a small enough diameter to fit yesterday and the results were simply unacceptable. Sooo, I want to try a mechanical again. I want at least a 2 inch diameter cut.

I researched on line and there are always at least 10% one or two star ratings on every one I have seen. Poor accuracy, opening in flight or failure to open on the target.

A 10% failure rate sucks! What are you other crossbow shooters using and what do you think of them?
These have been sufficient for me on a Tenpoint Crossbow:
https://www.cabelas.com/product/hun...rossbow-blade-broadheads/1547361.uts?slotId=2
I'm not a fan of mechanical broad heads, because of the chance of them not opening.

Lots of folks recommended the Swhackers, so that's what I ordered. I haven't shot a deer with them yet, but holy crap, these things are accurate.

The practice head and the hunting head have the exact same point of impact and the three hunting heads I tested stayed closed in flight and reliably opened on impact.

So far, so good! Now all I have to do is get this guy in front of me.
97191.JPG

Back
Top Bottom