• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need your advice on mechanical broadheads.

I can bring myself to shoot mechs. I don’t shoot a crossbow, but I’d go with a Magnus serrated buzzcut or a G5 Montec if I did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can bring myself to shoot mechs. I don’t shoot a crossbow, but I’d go with a Magnus serrated buzzcut or a G5 Montec if I did.

I've had poor results from them and know of others that have, also. However, I cannot use a large diameter fixed blade on the crossbow I started using last year and had VERY poor results from the smaller diameter I used a couple weeks ago. Mechanicals can give you an even biger cut than fixed... if they work properly.

This thread is my last effort to find a mechanical that reliably performs. The Swhackers that have been recommended here are the last try, but they sure have done what they are supposed to so far. All that's left is to actually kill a deer with one.

I've had poor results from them and know of others that have, also. However, I cannot use a large diameter fixed blade on the crossbow I started using last year and had VERY poor results from the smaller diameter I used a couple weeks ago. Mechanicals can give you an even biger cut than fixed... if they work properly.

This thread is my last effort to find a mechanical that reliably performs. The Swhackers that have been recommended here are the last try, but they sure have done what they are supposed to so far. All that's left is to actually kill a deer with one.

It also matters to see what grain broadhead is recommended for the crossbow. I know some manufacturers recommend 150 grain over the 100 grain. It seems that in makes a difference to some crossbow's on the accuracy, at least that is what I have heard from people that had trouble with the 100grain and switched to the 150 grain which was recommended by the manufacturer.

It also matters to see what grain broadhead is recommended for the crossbow. I know some manufacturers recommend 150 grain over the 100 grain. It seems that in makes a difference to some crossbow's on the accuracy, at least that is what I have heard from people that had trouble with the 100grain and switched to the 150 grain which was recommended by the manufacturer.
Never heard that before. With my crossbow the 100 grain are accurate. But 100 grain it the weight of the field points it came with.

Never heard that before. With my crossbow the 100 grain are accurate. But 100 grain it the weight of the field points it came with.

Look it up, it might be in the owners manual or maybe a quick google search, because I know some crossbow's come with the 150 grain field points and if that is whats recommended from the manufacturer then chances are it will be more accurate with the 150 rather than the 100.

The more weight forward of center the more accurate the arrow. Also, the more knock down power you have. I shoot 125grain head, with a 50 grain insert. I’d look at beefing up the weight for sure.

Finally got to try out the Swhackers for real. They worked perfectly!

In.
swhackerin.jpg

Out.
swhackerout.jpg

He only ran about 30 yards... then rolled almost all the way to the valley floor. Stone bitch getting him out.
121319kill.jpg

Back
Top Bottom