• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Needing career advice

Get_Training

Default rank <1000 posts
Memento Mori
97   0
Reaction score
Hey guys, so here is where I'm at. I'm looking for a little advice and I need some of the wiser members to help me out. Here's where I'm at:

I'm 23 years old, and I still live at home. I make about $36,000 annually. I have ZERO debt to my name, as I don't owe anyone a single penny. I've always wanted to go to college, but the more research I've done, both on finances and the economy, has pointed me away from traditional school (a 4-year university.) I just find it hard to justify student debt, with no jobs, and an economy that isn't going to improve in the foreseeable future for new college graduates. SO, I've been entertaining the thought of a trade school. I'm not really sure what trade to look at, or if I'm even barking up the right tree. I don't have any special skills to speak of, as far as mechanic or air conditioning. But I feel like the trade route might be a better way to go. Any advice? Tips? I'm fairly open for discussion, but I've come to the conclusion traditional education does not equal success.

As someone with a college degree, I can say if I were starting out in today's market I'd be going trade school all the way with a goal to be running my own business one day. Go trade school - costs less and takes less time than a college degree. Plus you can always go back and get a college degree if you want.

HVAC. Plenty of work and decent pay.

Another word of advice, move out of mom & dads house.

Also, I assume you have $10-20,000 saved from your higher than average salary (for a 23 yo) with no bills?

I have good bit of savings. I'm trying to stay home until I get a solid plan, as I fell like 800 plus a month in additional bills would hinder being able to pay for something if I need to. I won't live at home forever, but am in no hurry to acquire additional bills.

HVAC..everyone needs heat and a/c. Plumbing...everyone needs water. Electrician...everyone needs lights and creature comforts. The 3 basics that will never go away.

X1000

Most of the plumbers we see working are either over 50 or under 30. There is goingto be a huge gap about to occur in the next 10 years in plumbing HVAC and electrical. My good buddy works for Choate says the same thing about supervisors in his company. All going to retire in 10 years with hardly a bench to replace em.

Nobody wants to sweat and get dirty anymore. And you can learn a trade and not only fix your own house but do side work on your days off and weekends.

I went the college route and don't regret it at all, but it isn't for everyone. Trade schools are a solid path and any way you can learn employable skills will only benefit you. I like the idea of learning a trade with the goal of having your own business.

I have good bit of savings. I'm trying to stay home until I get a solid plan, as I fell like 800 plus a month in additional bills would hinder being able to pay for something if I need to. I won't live at home forever, but am in no hurry to acquire additional bills.

I lived at home until I was able to buy a house. Granted I had to incur some debt while living at home to establish a little bit of a credit rating. I also made sure I bought a nice car that would last for awhile while living at home so that when I get out of my parents house I wouldn't have a car payment. And yes both my cars will still last for a good couple of years.

Back
Top Bottom