• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Needing dome help. 300win or 300prc?

For what purpose? Besides availability/ammo selection the prc edges out the win mag by a slim margin on most accounts.
I'll be doing some elk hunting this coming year. I need something with a little more power at longer distances. From what I have read the prc is perfect for that but, I personally have never been behind one.

The 300 PRC is essentially a modernized/imrpoved 300 WM. No belt, better neck/shoulder design, chambers allowing long/heavy bullets without special reamers and good ammo/brass options.
I'm not experienced with the 300prc. Nor have I ever pulled the trigger on one. But I've read about people using basically any 30cal projectiles when reloading due to chamber. Do you know if that's true? I also have no experience with reloading so if this sounds stupid for lack of better terms that's why. I'm relying on the Internet for the knowledge.

The PRC doesn't have a huge performance boost or anything compared to the win mag. However, it is optimized for long heavy bullets like ngcsu said. If you want to sling 220 gr bullets, go prc. If you wanna stay in the 150-180 gr. Go with whatever gun you like best, chambering be damned. Win mag still has more factory options and a higher likelihood of being found at your local Walmart or Fudds-R-Us if you forget your ammo at home.

The 300 win Mag is the most overrated cartridge ever produced. The best advice I can give you would be get a 270. The ballistics on a 270 is the exact same on a 300 win Mag. We're talking about a small amount in size of projectile, .277 versus .308. Ammunition would be much cheaper, more readily available and it's proved to be a worthy hunting cartridge firm for many many years. The 300 PRC is a relatively new cartridge whether it stands or fails has yet to be determined. I would not buy any new novelty cartridge like that just because of the lack of availability in ammunition during times of ammo crisis plus the cost of the ammo is going to be astronomical even when ammo prices settle down. Don't take my word for it compare the ballistics and decide for yourself.

Also took the liberty to check into ammo available for the 300 PRC. And I just clicked the first site that was up was midway and they had six or seven different offerings and all of them were out of stock except the match ammo that was 65 bucks a box. I'm sure there's other places out there that have ammo but it doesn't look good from my initial search.

Back
Top Bottom