• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Neglected OAL

Should the .025 difference from the minimum recommended make a difference?
No.

The round headspaces on the case rim. As long at there is no magazine/chambering issues, no problem.
You mean the case mouth, right? 9mm is regarded as a rimless cartridge.

I shot a good many of the rounds today without issue. I have decided I'm going to find a coated load that my 26 likes and try to plunk test to find the oal. Once I find it's load I will do the same for my 19 and 34

Oh hell disregard the distance to lands for pistol as I never checked that just OAL. It's more for rifle.

For pistol you don't want to compress a charge unless it specifically states to do so and you don't want the OAL too long as it may interfere with magazines, feeding and jam into the lands increasing pressure or when pulling the slide back on a chambered round the bullet may remain in contact and separate.

You've gotten some good advice here. If you see no signs of over-pressure, and the stuff feeds well in your pistol, shoot it! Most ammo is used at indoor range distances and for "plinking" ... agonizing over already-loaded projectiles that work, is not worth wasting your time ... SHOOT IT!

Let me throw out a recommendation for you to consider. There are a number of things to worry about when reloading.
The obvious is Squibb and powder overloading. Most people cover this quite well. Case sizing (addressing Glock Bulge and rim damage) is another "problem" area. You run the case through all of the dies, prime/powder, and it looks great. Take it out to shoot and the D**ned thing will not feed or go into battery! That's the reason I always use a caliber specific cartridge gauge to check mu loads ... They are my "Plunk Tester" that shows not only case length problems but bulge and too long OAL problems as well ...

http://www.cabelas.com/product/HORN...VwrXACh0M4gf-EAYYAiABEgLIW_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

A little more trouble? Yes, but you are assured that the round is within specifications. Does it solve ALL feeding problems? NO! There magazine problems to contend with and there are pistols that simply will not feed certain bullet profiles / OALs! Yes, there are bullet profiles that are really tricky in getting the "just right" OAL for a particular pistol, AND the manual data on OAL may be at odds with what your firearm likes!

Then there are "wild cards" that can come into play: Some pistols need a "Break In" period to function well ... all of which can cause a lot of frustration ... That's why (in addition to preserving warranties) new pistols should only be fired with factory ammo ...

I normally load 147 @ 3.5 and 124 around 4.0 of titegroup.

This is why I have time to take up reloading

The round headspaces on the case rim. As long at there is no magazine/chambering issues, no problem.

I agree with GH1950...given the parameters you have. I would do the following:

1) shoot off the ones you loaded...The powder 3.5 and 4.0 falls inline. Should u feel uncomfortable, shoot it in a cheap glock. they seem to eat anything
2) revisit your methods. perhaps u really should look into an case gage. for 10 to 13 bucks, seems to be worth it.

I get skipping on a caliper - factory round
I get skipping on case gage - plunk test
I get using titegroup as an economic option. But it can easily double charge
I get ur new to reloading

I also get why gun blows up. It's because of all 4 listed above

My recommendation...dump titegroup, get a case gage. I think u'd be fine with a little more experience

Even when you think you've done everything "Right", there is the "Crazy Stuff Happens" factor. For example: just after posting here on ODT this morning, I went to my loading bench to continue loading some .45 ACP Berry 200 GR Plated Projectiles on my Lee Classic Turret. I am cranking them out, giving them a check on my Cartridge Gauge, doing periodic charge-weight verifications, refilling my Hornady Bullet Feeder as necessary (I use mine with a cheap plastic feed tube), ALL is (as usual) completely within tolerances. Then I remember that I was going to do something about the charging-handle on the press causing my hand to slightly bump the priming mechanism when I reached the top of the loading stroke. I had read on Cast-Boolits where someone had adjusted the rod so as to shorten it. Easy, just about a 2-minute process to adjust the rod 2 inches shorter .. stroke is same, no hand hitting. on the primer case. So, as I get back into the swing of things ... What?! The flare on the case mouth as it comes out of the Lee Auto-Disk Powder Measure ... seems off ... projectiles are tilting and the bullet seat die is ... really putting the crimp to my loads ... so much so that they will no longer gauge! "Hey" I say: gotta be a problem with some out-of-spec cases! No, they gauge just the same as the others did before the rod shortening ... it is only after processing the case does it "Get Fat"!

So, what happened? Who Knows! I adjusted the rod back to its original length and the problem persisted. It was then necessary for me to determine if the dies actually changed their seating (I mark the die nut and the turret with a dot with a magic marker when I set them up NOTHING had changed! So, I then re-installed all of the dies ,,, which has solved the problem (for now). Poltergeists? Probably not, but I do have a jaundiced eye on my press now!

I used the setup last evening to load 100, and then 50 more this morning before doing the shortening. I went back and gauged every one of them and (just like the did when I first loaded them) they were dead-on-spec ...

Likely not!
but may depend on exactly what projectile that you are using.
you need to find loading data for the exact or very similar projectile that you are loading.
for instance all 124 grain 9 MM projectiles are not created the same.
not only do you have round nose. Flat Nose, hollow point projectiles that will have different lengths (projectile not entire bullet) but you also have sold copper, frangible, etc, projectiles that will be seriously longer than standard jacketed lead core or plated projectiles of the same weight.
now its not really the length of the bullet other than proper fit in your gun and magazine but what is important is the remaining case capacity inside the case after the projectile is seated that will determine pressure.
I would say to make sure the completed bullet will fit and feed properly in the magazine as opposed to seating near the lands/grooves of the barrel.
first off normally you run out of magazine space before running out of free bore, second you can get the OAL so long that you do not get proper tension on the crimp and you can have some serious operational problems in a semi auto pistol if that happens.

Likely not!
but may depend on exactly what projectile that you are using.
you need to find loading data for the exact or very similar projectile that you are loading.
for instance all 124 grain 9 MM projectiles are not created the same.
not only do you have round nose. Flat Nose, hollow point projectiles that will have different lengths (projectile not entire bullet) but you also have sold copper, frangible, etc, projectiles that will be seriously longer than standard jacketed lead core or plated projectiles of the same weight.
now its not really the length of the bullet other than proper fit in your gun and magazine but what is important is the remaining case capacity inside the case after the projectile is seated that will determine pressure.
I would say to make sure the completed bullet will fit and feed properly in the magazine as opposed to seating near the lands/grooves of the barrel.
first off

normally you run out of magazine space before running out of free bore, second you can get the OAL so long that you do not get proper tension on the crimp and you can have some serious operational problems in a semi auto pistol if that happens.

Absolutely agree!

However, projectiles loaded with the press configured exactly as it was before the "shortening" of the charging rod; feed, shoot and put holes in the target just fine. And YES, they are the same brand/profile/weight/even-from-the-same-shipping-box-projectile! The ONLY change in the set-up was the shortening of the charging rod!

Back
Top Bottom