• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Negotiating with those who get their feelings hurt

Status
Not open for further replies.
An initial asking price by the Seller is just that. A counteroffer from the prospective Buyer is not an insult. If the Seller can't handle it, put her/him on "IGNORE" and
forget about it. The Seller's hurt feelings are not the Buyer's worry.
Just so I understand:

- if a seller ignores an offer it automatically means that his feelings are hurt and he can't handle it. There is no other explanation or possible reason.

- if the person who made the offer puts the seller on "ignore" it is entirely justified and never the result of hurt feelings.

The only time an offer really irritated me was one where I had something for sale (cannot recall what) , the would be buyer offered @ 40% less that asking price and added BTW you need to come to me.

I thought Foxtrot Yankee but said , you know I believe that I will pass.

i've gotten a couple of really really butt hurt responses where I asked, very politely, if there was any way we could meet in the middle.

Gee, it's just a question. Say "no" and let's both go on. I really don't want to hear about your miserable job that you can't leave because you have to work 20 hour shifts (but I'm supposed to drive 3 hours) and how you can't be gone from home for more than 30 minutes without your old lady going all PMS, and how much gas is ( I get my gas free, don't you know).

Just say " NO"

I've had many "lowball" offers accepted, and we met half way. :shocked:

I've also been turned down with a polite, No thanks.:becky:

Then there those that get butthurt, and there price is way above retail, those go on ignore.:wacko:

If you want a cookie, then ask for a cookie. It's no guarantee that you'll get a cookie, but there's one thing for sure, if you don't ask, you probably won't get a cookie.:hungry:

Haven't been on ODT that long, but based on my life experience unless the asking price is stated FIRM, they are open to REASONABLE offers, and should respond to such. Exception might be really off-the-wall or incoherent questions.

Does every lowball offer even deserve a reply? Any sort of reply?
What if the lowballer isn't really interested in your product per se, but makes a business / hobby out of going to all the B/S/T ads and making lowball offers on everything. If he gets somebody to sell him something at significantly less than fair market value, he calls that a win. It strokes his ego. Gives him a thrill. Then, he can turn around and flip it (probably on a different site).

I don't think such habitual lowballers deserve any reply. It's just like getting SPAM e-mail or junk mail in your mailbox at the end of your driveway. Toss it as soon as you recognize it for what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom