• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Negotiations skills (or lack thereof)

I expect any buyer to pay 50% over my asking, cut my grass and wash my car weekly, for two months. I feel that's entirely reasonable.

Glock 19 - $499.00 + 7% tax = $533.93, + $10.00 gas to AO, +$30 ammo to 'break it in', + $71.00 Uncle Mike's holster + $7.99 plastic case = $652.92. Offered for cell on ODT for only $600, that's $52.92 off folks. No lowballers. If'n I haff to drive fer, Imma haff to charge $620 to cover the gas and a donut and a cup of coffee on the way to the meet.

How I price guns...
Consider what I paid for it
Decide if I am willing to let it go, even at a loss
Check the trusty interwebs machine for current prices
If it's selling new for $100 less than what I paid, I live with that
Price the item 10% or so less than new if it's in like new condition and/or or comes with accessories/ammo
Be open to reasonable offers. A polite "no thank you" to the lowballers.
This ain't rocket surgery, buds! I've lost money or broke even on 90% of the guns I've sold, but never more than $50 or so. But I sell them within a few days. I don't have time to waste meeting up with folks to not get deals done. When I put something up for sale, I'm ready to sell.
The same goes for buying. If I see something I want, I check current pricing. If the ask is reasonable, I make a polite inquiry. Many times I won't even counter if the price is right on the market. Is $20 really going to move the needle for him or me? I assume not. And I'm not looking to pick some guy off cheap if he is hurting for money. Seems like bad karma.
I'm not all about the haggling. I prefer deals to get done with minimal brain damage.

****. You're doing better than me. I've lost hundreds on a single gun before. More than once.

I have tried to negotiate here as a sailor and bi-er. Been about 50% successful. Some folks just live in a black and white world and are not willing to work in the grey area.

Glock 19 - $499.00 + 7% tax = $533.93, + $10.00 gas to AO, +$30 ammo to 'break it in', + $71.00 Uncle Mike's holster + $7.99 plastic case = $652.92. Offered for cell on ODT for only $600, that's $52.92 off folks. No lowballers. If'n I haff to drive fer, Imma haff to charge $620 to cover the gas and a donut and a cup of coffee on the way to the meet.

I think the Shields that are priced over retail and ignore the current rebate may be surpassing overpriced glocks right now.

Back
Top Bottom