• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Neighbor Dog Aggressive On My Property

tthompson

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
146   0
Reaction score
Hey folks. Need your advice on a legal matter. So the up front details. I live in a townhouse community. There are HOA posted leash laws for dogs and pets. When on common grounds you MUST have your dog leashed. I myself abide by them with my Boxer boy as he can be very hyper. This dog is a constant nuisance to other animals and people.

So I have a neighbor who routinely NEVER has her dog (pit/terrier mix) on a leash in a common ground open area behind our house. On the main level to this area it is open to our back doors. Last night before dinner my 2 year old son was standing inside at our back patio doors when out of nowhere this unleashed dog comes flying up to our backdoor snarling and barking at my son. I'm confident if the door wasn't closed this dog would have got my son. The owner was nowhere to be seen as she was on her porch. I of course EDC in my house regularly. My original response was "this dog is on my property at my backdoor aggressively trying to go after my son". My right should be to protect my family in any way necessary.

Question-do I have legal right to use lethal force on this animal if I feel my family or my life is in danger? Thanks in advance folks!

Hey folks. Need your advice on a legal matter. So the up front details. I live in a townhouse community. There are HOA posted leash laws for dogs and pets. When on common grounds you MUST have your dog leashed. I myself abide by them with my Boxer boy as he can be very hyper. This dog is a constant nuisance to other animals and people.

So I have a neighbor who routinely NEVER has her dog (pit/terrier mix) on a leash in a common ground open area behind our house. On the main level to this area it is open to our back doors. Last night before dinner my 2 year old son was standing inside at our back patio doors when out of nowhere this unleashed dog comes flying up to our backdoor snarling and barking at my son. I'm confident if the door wasn't closed this dog would have got my son. The owner was nowhere to be seen as she was on her porch. I of course EDC in my house regularly. My original response was "this dog is on my property at my backdoor aggressively trying to go after my son". My right should be to protect my family in any way necessary.

Question-do I have legal right to use lethal force on this animal if I feel my family or my life is in danger? Thanks in advance folks!

Not being a dick ,but if you feel your life(or child's life for that matter) are in danger what does the law have to do with anything?

Not being a dick ,but if you feel your life(or child's life for that matter) are in danger what does the law have to do with anything?
Reason I ask is the door was closed and my son was behind the door. If he were outside it would be different. Curious if me opening the door and pursuing the dog for a kill shot would put me at risk for prosecution?

Call Cobb County Animal Control.
We had a similar issue and even though the dog was not outside when
Animal Control arrived they were still issued a written warning and was told
what would happen the next time. Animal Control also said they would do
random drive bys.

I would definitely do this and possibly the police as well. That way you have it documented IF you ever have to shoot this lady's dog.

Have you spoken with the dog's owner? I'd start there AND call animal control. If you shoot the dog (while it's NOT attached to you or one of your family) you better have a paper trail to back you up.
Multiple times. She always acts so shocked when it happens. No effort to leash her dog.

Man I'm just glad your son was behind the glass!!!

You said in the post above she acts shocked when it "happens", plural. Has this happened before?

Back
Top Bottom