• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Never Hunted Anything before, Where To Start?

The Hunting Public Youtube channel is pretty good and you learn a lot. However, I fall in the “never got taught to hunt” club, too! I started out this year after buying some guns to hunt and went squirrel hunting all by myself with a backpack, ammo, camping chair and a .22 rifle and .410 single shot. No luck so far but it’s been fun going out in the woods and doing the manly thing. I also traded a rifle for a good bow so I wouldn’t be left out during bow season. It’s been addicting but fun.
I'll have to check them out! and yeah seems like that is gonna be my go to at first too

I think all the processors are full right now. I had to go to Louisville to drop one off. Something to keep in mind.

Is Karl still on here? He had some great success hunting on the Gordon training area. Some people get permission to hunt the Corps of Engineers property up by the lake as well.

A 3-day hunt at Deerfield Plantation in SC is $1500 (yep) plus license and fees. They put you in a stand in the morning and toss a cup of corn. You’re not supposed to come out of your stand until they come to pick you up. Then, the process repeats in the afternoon. If you shoot a deer, they will clean it and charge you for it, not allowed to do it on your own. Bunk and meals are included. There are some less than ideal aspects, but there are also some advantages to paying for a hunt. Deerfield is just to give an example, not meant to be an endorsement or negative review of that place specifically. If you have $2k to drop on a hunt next season, it might not be the worst option for you to try some kind of hunting lodge and just get your feet wet.

https://georgiawildlife.com/hunting/hunter-resources

best of luck, I wish you weren’t on the other side of the state. Would love to have a trainee I could show how to put up deer stands, field dress deer, drag deer out of the woods, drive to hunting locations, drive deer to a hunter sitting on a stand...
Are you still looking for a trainee? I’m in the same boat and an hour away from Rome. I’ve been trying to figure out a way to get started with no property or mentor. I’ve got a couple boxes of .370 win I have no use for...

That is assuming I am hunting birds with a friend who wont sue me. I am not hunting birds first (maybe though who the hell knows) and I have no friends, so if i randomly shot someone I feel like they would probably take that legal action, or they'd like, ya know, die
Another option is to make some friends. One of them will probably be a hunter and teach you everything you need to know.
In my experience hunting with a good friend is way more fun (and safer) than hunting alone.

If you want to deer hunt, find a good source like mast crop or green field, (corn pile on private land) then look for deer tracks and poop (u can google what that looks like). Hunt the sign when the wind is in your face, be still, fight the boredom, and aim just behind the shoulder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buck fever is real. If you don't get it, you probably need to find a new hobby. Luke is still being a chick though. ;)
Exactly! The day my heart stops beating fast and I quit shaking after pulling the trigger is the day I quit hunting. But yes he was acting like he was toting something other than a sausage!:pound:

Back
Top Bottom