• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New ATF definition of firearm

In addition, the things in the rule are all tweaks that sound pretty minor, and at the end of the day it's really only going to effect Polymer80 and some AR '80%' makers.

You can be sure that the SIGs and Glocks and Rugers of the world won't have any problems, but anything that was '80%' will definitely be on their wrong side.

The big issue is the latitude it gives the ATF in defining 'frame or receiver' in the future. Specifically the idea that multiple parts of the firearm could be considered a F/R. That's something the ATF excludes in one part (the section on 'modular' recovers like the AR) but then opens up again in another section (the ghost gun part).

If they were doing this correctly they would split this into (3) proposals.

First for defining 'modular' receivers that would settle the AR court issues.

Second to cover their proposed extension of FFLs keeping paperwork beyond the current 20 year cutoff.

Third, for the 'ghost gun' issue, of when a firearm becomes a firearm in the manufacturing process.

Instead they buried all three of these proposals on 115 pages of bureaucratic nonsense and doublespeak.

You can be sure that the SIGs and Glocks and Rugers of the world won't have any problems, but anything that was '80%' will definitely be on their wrong side.

You have identified an issue that doesn't get much airplay. Everyone assumes that everyone with an interest in 2nd Amendment regulation is on the same page.

I doubt that there is much opposition among mainline gun manufacturers supporting the 80% rule, or the rules on how guns are serialized. Even 2nd tier manufacturers of lowers and uppers, and parts such as barrels, trigger groups, stocks, etc., it's a non-issue.

There just isn't going to be much industry "big money" opposing most of the proposed changes.

You have identified an issue that doesn't get much airplay. Everyone assumes that everyone with an interest in 2nd Amendment regulation is on the same page.

I doubt that there is much opposition among mainline gun manufacturers supporting the 80% rule, or the rules on how guns are serialized. Even 2nd tier manufacturers of lowers and uppers, and parts such as barrels, trigger groups, stocks, etc., it's a non-issue.

There just isn't going to be much industry "big money" opposing most of the proposed changes.
There's a wave coming behind this. This is a smokescreen. Once this cruises on through, we'll soon see pistol braces, binary/rare breed triggers, and UBC. That'll cruise through because they'll throw the "patriots" a bone and allow for registration of their new sbrs.

After that settles down, assault rifles and mag limits are coming because of an ill timed mass shooting and we just have to be like Australia because it's the utopian dream.

There may be some mixing and matching with those variables, but it's coming.

Most fudd guns will come after that without opposition (aside from the fudds). All the other groups will resent the fudds for throwing them under the bus.

I used to think the time span on this would be about a decade, but at the current rate, this will happen within a year or two.

.fire arm
0rwIQQj.jpg

There's a wave coming behind this. This is a smokescreen. Once this cruises on through, we'll soon see pistol braces, binary/rare breed triggers, and UBC. That'll cruise through because they'll throw the "patriots" a bone and allow for registration of their new sbrs.

After that settles down, assault rifles and mag limits are coming because of an ill timed mass shooting and we just have to be like Australia because it's the utopian dream.

There may be some mixing and matching with those variables, but it's coming.

Most fudd guns will come after that without opposition (aside from the fudds). All the other groups will resent the fudds for throwing them under the bus.

I used to think the time span on this would be about a decade, but at the current rate, this will happen within a year or two.

That's definitely the long game... but they have patience even if it seems like they want everything 'right now'.

I think they will hold off on an new AWB and focus on stuff around the edges (UBC and Red Flag) for now, unless they decide to scrap the filibuster and pack the courts, in which case all bets are off. I'm not seeing that happen until after 2022 though, since that would almost certainly lose them Congress.

You are right that braces are definitely on the chopping block. I'm guessing we won't hear anything about them until the 'ghost gun' rule is settled though. I'm thinking we won't see binaries come up until there's a mass killing with one though.

Back
Top Bottom