• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New Car Buying Service....

Play the email game with several dealers. Don't visit the dealership until you have it all in writing. Also consider yourself fortunate that the car she's looking for is relatively inexpensive.
I previously sold cars and know the "game", but did this with the truck I just bought. Worked wonderfully and they had everything ready when I arrived.

Also, don't be afraid to look out of state for a deal. I got my truck $4,200 cheaper than any Atlanta area dealer would offer. This is AFTER having them try to price match the deal I worked up in KY via email/text. I wouldn't have traveled over a few hundred bucks, but $4K, yep took my ass on a road trip! lol

If you ever feel like looking at Toyota, PM me. I will send you my salesman's name, and he could probably work a fantastic deal up for you. Dealer fees seem to be far less in the surrounding states than the Atlanta area as well.

OK.

I am a cheapskate.

The last new car I bought was nearly 15 years ago. I like driving beaters.

My wife, however-is of a different mind. As her car slowly decays into a decrepit old beater, I find myself in the unenviable position of needing to sort through the available options to locate a new red (go dawgs) Chevy Cruze 4 door for her. (Yeah, I know.... She loves UGA-and must drive a red car. It's a thing.)

I want to see what tricks y'all have found for finding the best deal. I know there are a million internet options these days, but I haven't used any.

Anyone tried the USAA car buying service? What about Sam's or Costco? Is there a way to find out the price the wholesale clubs can come up with short of actually buying a membership?

Above all, I HATE dealerships. No offense to anyone who works in the business, but I hate the places with a passion. Some people hate dentists or flying, or the thought of getting on a ship. I hate car dealerships. I'd like to find a deal online and avoid ever setting foot on a dealership beforehand.

Also-is there a way to look up dealer invoice? Is that even a real number anymore? (I remember being able to find it ages ago, but I hear the dealers have all figured out how to work that system. I am not interested in paying junk fees like destination charges or any protection package nonsense. I want a car at the best price, and no jibba-jabba.)

Thanks for the ideas!

I used USSA for new SUV, I was approved for $60.000K pre-approved. I was given a 1.9% interest rate. It was all done over the phone in 10minutes.

I actually enjoy car shopping. As long as your not in need of one right now, then you have the upper hand. I like shooting the $hit with them and to see how far they are willing to go to make a sale. I look foward to my next car purchase, unfortunately I just got a Denali last month so it may be a little while.

I previously sold cars and know the "game", but did this with the truck I just bought. Worked wonderfully and they had everything ready when I arrived.

Also, don't be afraid to look out of state for a deal. I got my truck $4,200 cheaper than any Atlanta area dealer would offer. This is AFTER having them try to price match the deal I worked up in KY via email/text. I wouldn't have traveled over a few hundred bucks, but $4K, yep took my ass on a road trip! lol

If you ever feel like looking at Toyota, PM me. I will send you my salesman's name, and he could probably work a fantastic deal up for you. Dealer fees seem to be far less in the surrounding states than the Atlanta area as well.

Doesn't the state of Georgia clean your clock when you buy out of state? Taxes/tag/blah blah? I'd definitely be up for a road trip to save some dough, but if the state of Georgia kicks my ass on the backend, might as well buy here, perhaps?

I have no clue how it works, not trying to be a smarty pants.

My '02 Tacoma is about to turn 200k miles. I dread the day I've gotta get rid of it. I bought it new, and it has been a FANTASTIC truck.

My advise is too WAIT until summer time. Everything is more expensive since it's tax season. Prices are up at the auctions until July... New cars loose 1000's of dollars immediately when you leave the lot. If she wants a new cruz, wait until summer and buy one that is a coupe years older. Since you don't like dealers, craigslist is unfortunately the best place to look.

Doesn't the state of Georgia clean your clock when you buy out of state? Taxes/tag/blah blah? I'd definitely be up for a road trip to save some dough, but if the state of Georgia kicks my ass on the backend, might as well buy here, perhaps?
ah.... ad valorem
it's awful. gotta come up with the entire amount in cash/check/debit when you get tags. it's absolutely horrible.

As for you not wanting to go to dealerships, I don't blame you. When someone comes to my lot, I don't even acknowledge them unless they come inside. Can't stand vultures... I figured if someone's interested in something, they will come ask me for the keys. I probably loose many sales, but I'm not a pusher. I refuse to go to a furniture store because everyone hounds you.... VERY ANNOYING.

Personally I wouldn't buy brand new. I helped my daughter by her first (had to be new) car and the best deals going looked to be the 1 year old Cruz and Malibu that had around 12 - 16,000 miles on them. Bill holt Chevy and Days Chevrolet in jasper ga seem to keep a lot full of them. I assume they are coming off a lease or something.

I thought GA had some kind of ripoff "environmental fee" for cars bought out of state....

Is that not the case anymore?

Back
Top Bottom