• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New Georgia Corn laws??

I've hunted on a large club where some areas were open for baiting while others were not. The guys that hauled corn around worked a lot harder for their deer than I did. They hauled hundreds of pounds around in rough terrain on a regular basis. The most I ever had to do was tote a fifteen pound climber down a fire break along a clearcut and roll the deer out on a cart. Bait plots and corn piles are more money and more work.

It's not about the $ or hauling a bag of corn around. Bringing in deer to a significant amount of hunting land is one thing. But setting up shop right next to where they feed and blasting them is ridiculous. There is no sport in that and any fool can do it. I don't see how anyone could feel like they accomplished something by doing so.

I've been hunting plenty so don't think I'm against it. I enjoy it. I'll just never agree with hunting over a feeder.

http://www.jagerpro.com/

When your a property owner, and you live off the land, and animals like hogs and deer destoy what you work for and you still feel against the passing of a baiting bill please let me know. I have witnessed farmer friends go broke because of hogs tearing up acres and acres of seed or plants. It may not affect you at the moment but hogs are a growing problem that will sooner or later affect everyone if not controlled. Just my .02..

It has nothing to do with hogs. It is already legal to bait hogs. I'm not too aware of farmers going broke from whitetail, but if they are a pest you can apply for control permit.

Only for the Southern Region I heard. The new DNR director was busted for hunting over bait way back when and it gonna legalize it but only in his home turf...

I think its a bad law. Bad for hunting. Will increase disease. Bad for the reputation of our sport.

Texas allows baiting and there disease ratio is not higher.

Take a look at Michigan. I don't think Texas is a good compare as my understanding the overall deer population density is less that MI and GA.

To me though it doesn't matter..i'd be against it regardless. I also don't understand how it can be legal in the Southern Region only. I would love to hear how they justify that one...

Baiting has nothing to do with disease! That's the funniest thing I have ever heard. A food plot and supplemental feeding is no different then a pile of corn. Just do what I do an hunt over muscadine vines, persimmon trees, and acorns. Don't be a lazy deer farmer. Be a deer hunter. Too many wannabe naturalist, biologist, etc...

It has everything to do with pigs. It is not legal to hunt pigs over bait during deer season.

as for deer...
http://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/deercontrol.html
read 4th paragraph of introduction...

http://www.wvdnr.gov/hunting/IntAppDeerCon.shtm
wv dnr did a study that estimated $850,000,000 in crop and forestry damage in the US.
not to mention the $1,000,000,000 in vehicle accidents.

I am a sportsman myself and will not hunt over bait myslef, but if I chose to, its my prerogative. I value human life more than a few deer and do not see the corn bill being passed as a bad thing. I believe it will get more people into the great sport of hunting and increase overall sales in corn. lol..

Out of our 50 states there are 22 states that allow baiting of deer for hunting purposes in either the whole state or in selected parts of the state. The remaining 28 do not allow it at all. In the 22 states that allow baiting of deer for hunting, 14 of them allow it state wide, the remaining 8 allow it only in limited areas.

No Bait Allowed:

Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Missouri, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, New York, North Dakota, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Tennessee, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wyoming

Baiting Allowed In Entire State:

Arizona, Hawaii, Kansas, Nevada, New Hampshire, Mississippi, New Jersey, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, Utah, Washington

Baiting Only In Selected Areas:

Connecticut, Florida, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Texas, Wisconsin, and now Georgia..

Back
Top Bottom