• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New gun storage area for me!!

Keep an eye on the humidity building up in there during damp weather
First thing that popped into my head when I saw those damp block. You need to run one of those Golden Rods. Something electric that will do some hard core pulling on that humidity. You might be keeping them oiled down but what's the inside going to look like in a few years. Throw the gamut at it. Desiccant bag, golden rod, bowls of the crystal that turns into straight water after a few months. I mean go after that moister and go at it hard.

You might even want to get a good standup unit for the basement and drill a hole in the open side and run the overflow tube right outside. Use that spray foam to seal around the hole you made. That's a good idea no matter what the situation. We had a ping pong table that straight up buckled from moister in the basement. It looked like two guys place hydraulic jacks in the middle of each side and cranked them all the way up. Mucho Agua, No bueno! Get a good one that keeps track of the humidity and turns it's self on and off. Let that bastard run 24/7. From the pic it looks like it needs it. Nice little cubby for your safe though but you gotta keep them babies dry.

I've been wanting a dedicated, secure area to store my guns for years. I've had a decent safe for about 15 years but wanted a better protected place. Over the last couple of months we (lovely wife and myself) have been involved in a kitchen renovation at our home and I decided it was time to also do something in my basement for me. Nothing fancy but it will keep my firearms better protected.
View attachment 1769780 View attachment 1769781
View attachment 1769785 View attachment 1769787
Had the walls done in these pics and the door set.
Walls are 8" block with rebar and filled with concrete. Overhead is 4" of concrete with rebar.
Edit: I forgot to give the dimensions....outside is 12'x8' inside is a bit smaller. 11'4" x 7'

Soooooo. Exactly where in dawsonville are you located and how many firearms do you have? If possible, your work hours away from home would be nice as well. Me and my crew would love to give it a go... I mean, what could it hurt? You are insured correct?

Man I like that! We’re in the process of adding on to a house. Have a small man cave, but I want a gun vault room. Wife said not right now though. May build one in a large shop near the house. Maybe one of these days.

First thing that popped into my head when I saw those damp block. You need to run one of those Golden Rods. Something electric that will do some hard core pulling on that humidity. You might be keeping them oiled down but what's the inside going to look like in a few years. Throw the gamut at it. Desiccant bag, golden rod, bowls of the crystal that turns into straight water after a few months. I mean go after that moister and go at it hard.

You might even want to get a good standup unit for the basement and drill a hole in the open side and run the overflow tube right outside. Use that spray foam to seal around the hole you made. That's a good idea no matter what the situation. We had a ping pong table that straight up buckled from moister in the basement. It looked like two guys place hydraulic jacks in the middle of each side and cranked them all the way up. Mucho Agua, No bueno! Get a good one that keeps track of the humidity and turns it's self on and off. Let that bastard run 24/7. From the pic it looks like it needs it. Nice little cubby for you safe though but you gotta keep them babies dry.

I have an electric dehumidifier with a built in pump already in there and placed a small pipe through the wall for the drain line. The blocks dried for about three weeks before I waterproofed the inside of the room. I will eventually waterproof the exterior of it after giving it plenty of drying time. I have a dehumidifier for the rest of the basement area as well. The safe has had a desiccant canister in it since new, but a golden rod is on the list now too. I'm planning on using the taller filing cabinet (old govt surplus and built like a tank) for ammo storage so it will get some sort of protection too.
I haven't put any guns in there yet, want to make sure I've got the humidity under control first.

Back
Top Bottom