• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New gun - working up a load question(s)

make sure you magazine is not binding on the action should be a bit loose

any commonality to the groups it's shooting.. ( VERTICAL OR HORIZONAL STRINGING).

are you using concentric gauge for your ammo.. also are you checking neck size on your cases.

what powder(s) are you running other than 4831... new barrels are always unique

I'll have to check the magazine.

I'm running the Redding micrometer seater die, and runout is consistently under .001". I just this week bought the bushing FL resizer die, and have done up a batch to shoot tomorrow with no expander ball, and minimal resizing of 2/3 of the neck. Enough to hold the bullets solidly, but a lot less squeezing than my "normal" die did.

Running Retumbo powder. I have never tried 4831, though I bought some 4831SC in case I wanted to.

Had the best luck previously at .010" into the lands, but now 010, .005", .000", and .005" off the lands seem about the same.

Group sizes are round-- but my range is only 100 yards. Harder to find a longer range.

The good news is that all of these groups, and with different powder charges-- they all consistently have the same point of impact-- and dead-on the scope zero. It's consistent. But not precise.

I'll check the magazine. That I have not heard before.

So I'm about 200 rounds now into a 1000 round barrel, and don't have a load.

Thanks for the help.

when I referred to neck size I was actually talking about neck thickness.. I sort all my precision cases 1st by the consistency of the neck thickness

the new Shilen barrel may well just like a different powder.. on any new cartridge or rifle I normally 1st start with at least 3 different powders each with 4-5 different loads of varying powder weight. pick the best of the lot and try to concentrate on it

h4831 or sc , H1000 H4350 all work well with the heavier bullets. Seen R22 used also

Back
Top Bottom