• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New guy needs help with bill of sale

I usually write up a description of the item with serial number, take a picture of their driver's license, Georgia Weapons License, car and license plate and my remote drone captures their facial image so I can document everything related to the sale in case they do something illegal with what I'm selling.
amateur....
no stool sample..

Spencer, what a strange notion, that a handwritten bill of sale has no legal effect.
There's 500 years of caselaw and various statutes in all of Western civilization that says otherwise.
But you say not.
Why?

Check out this case from the Ga. Court of Appeals and
note the legal effect of a handwritten bill of sale as to a guy's personal property
that his creditors were looking to seize or
Ellis v. Rudeseal
56 Ga. App. 210 (1937)

Yup, and I would agree with that in a lot of cases, but not when you're involved with a self-defense case (especially a politicized one) and everything has to be bulletproof. The last thing you need is a prosecutor trying to paint your weapon as a ghost gun you bought on the Internet.

As far as I'm concerned, a self-defense gun should be either brand new, or a government trade-in with a documented history that can be pulled up if needed. That may sound a little paranoid, but look at all the things they tried to pin on Zimmerman, and watch what will try and pin on Rittenhouse. It won't seem paranoid enough.

As for getting your gun back from the cops, I can't see why they would believe a bill of sale that was hand-written if they are already predisposed to give you grief. I'm not saying you won't win a court case with one, but as mentioned above, spending $5-10K in lawyers fees to get back a $600 pistol just doesn't make sense.

Another idea worth thinking about:

Your gun gets stolen and later recovered by the police.
You find out and get notified that it's been recovered from the thief's house, or some pawn shop, etc.
You want to pick up your gun and the police department says "Sure, but bring your receipt."
Now what are you going to do?
Keep in mind that if you forge a reciept with the seller's signature on it after-the-fact, that itself is a felony crime, even without any intent to defraud anybody.

Also, you might have a gun seized "for safekeeping" by the cops. They aren't holding it as evidence of a crime, but you were too drunk to keep possession of it, or you were in an accident and taken, unconscious, to the hospital. Other scenarios like this. The cops will give you your gun back in a day or two-- BUT THEY INSIST YOU SHOW A RECEIPT TO PROVE IT'S YOURS.

Yeah, it should be perfectly clear to them that it's yours because their officers obtained it from you! But, that kind of common sense is discouraged in all levels of the criminal justice system, from cops to lawyers to judges. You aren't allowed to think. You just have to follow the rules. And department policy (or just unwritten custom) is that nobody gets a gun back unless and until they bring in the receipt when they come to claim it.

You do know they ask for a legitimate receipt from a GS or licensed dealer. They did laugh (in the instance in canton ga) over the attempt of proof with a "BOS"...
Aren't you an attorney?

Reading this I’ve seen examples of reasons to be for & against BOS’.

I’m not for BOS one bit but I can certainly understand why someone living in this current political climate would want papers on their CC or other type of weapon if used in a self defense instance.

The George Zimmerman case probably would not have went to trial had it taken place just 10 years prior to when it did.

We are foolish if we don’t acknowledge stuff is different outside our bubbles now.

I don’t plan on doing it, but dismissing actual instances & diving into playground **** when we disagree does nothing positive: except make me laugh.

Why we throwing rocks at each other rather than just taking the input for what it is?

Because the other side still has the upper hand on sticking together.

And we’ve still got to work on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

We are foolish if we don’t acknowledge stuff is different outside our bubbles now.

Why we throwing rocks at each other rather than just taking the input for what it is?

Because the other side still has the upper hand on sticking together.

And we’ve still got to work on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This is the internet winning post!!!

Was in a motorcycle accident, hit so hard my gun came out of my holster and slid across the pavement, i was unconscious the whole time. Luckily a good Samaritan picked up the gun and gave it to the police. Guess what, weeks later i strolled in and got it without incident or proof or even mention of a receipt, the hardest part was timing
Impossible...the gun book guy says thats not how it works...how dare you contradict the expert....

Hey, I once sped right past a cop doing at least 14 miles an hour faster than the speed limit, & he just sat there and made no attempt to pull me over.
So obviously cops don't enforce speeding laws. That's been my experience, and don't any of you dare argue with me because I am a first-hand witness to what I know to be true.

The fundamental question though is why are so many of you people on
ODT are not only stupid, but so eager to share your misinformation
and general dumbassery with the general public?

ODT ought to come with a warning label
for both ignorance and rudeness -- they're rampant here.

The fundamental question though is why are so many of you people on
ODT are not only stupid, but so eager to share your misinformation
and general dumbassery with the general public?

ODT ought to come with a warning label
for both ignorance and rudeness -- they're rampant here.

Thats what I was asking, just didn't know i needed to let me kid write the questions... oh wait, again, aren't you an attorney? Or just playing on on here?

Just my opinion since I have no dog in this fight but the main reason for a BOS is not so much to do with guns you own but guns you have sold. If for some reason the ATF or FBI traces a gun to you don't you think it would be a better idea to have something written down with the date, name and address of who you sold it to than it would be to say: "oh I sold that to some guy that I met up with in a parking lot somewhere". It might save you a few hours worth of questioning if nothing else. But by all means, do it any way you want. None of my business.

Back
Top Bottom