• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New laws, anyone?

There is a huge area between these two extremes and most of the mass shooters have been in it.
I agree. But if you lock everybody up that makes a threat on the internet you are going to have an Asylum full of people with 72 hour evaluations. The system will be overloaded and you won't solve the problem

I'm not staying here what we should or shouldn't do I'm stating what the current rules are.

At that point an investigation should be started and the person that posted would be questioned, they would not automatically be sent for an evaluation based on what they posted.
I'm talking about the changes that need to be made. What we are doing now obviously isn't working.

As for the person saying they are going to kill a bunch of kids, that person should be immediately taken in for evaluation. The statement itself indicates a mental problem that is potentially dangerous.

There is a huge area between these two extremes and most of the mass shooters have been in it.
Most of the people involved in these shootings had several prior warnings and people knew what they were planning to do. Had a thorough investigation been performed some of these shootings could have been prevented

I agree. But if you lock everybody up that makes a threat on the internet you are going to have an Asylum full of people with 72 hour evaluations. The system will be overloaded and you won't solve the problem
I disagree. Once people realize that making threats is being taken seriously, only the real crazies will keep making them.

If someone walks up to you on the street and threatens to kill you, that's assault. Why would saying it on the internet be different?

I disagree. Once people realize that making threats is being taken seriously, only the real crazies will keep making them.

If someone walks up to you on the street and threatens to kill you, that's assault. Why would saying it on the internet be different?
Have you met any teenagers lately?

I'm talking about the changes that need to be made. What we are doing now obviously isn't working.

As for the person saying they are going to kill a bunch of kids, that person should be immediately taken in for evaluation. The statement itself indicates a mental problem that is potentially dangerous.
Someone says they're going to kill a bunch of kids at a school and it can be verified that they actually said that they need to be arrested for terroristic threats

I don't know if the law needs to be changed as much as we need to take these allegations seriously and do a thorough investigation. But that's going to take resources,
The laws do need to be changed. Right now the liability for taking someone into custody for a suspected mental disorder is much too great, so it doesn't happen when it should.

Hmm, more mass killings and loss of 2A rights v expenditure of more resources. That's a no brainer for me.

I am a firm believe that people can snap when they hit rock bottom. I'm talking people who are perfectly fine from a mental-health standpoint, and then something just happens. Could be a variety of reasons. But mental health screening and background checks aren't gonna do you any good with those kinds of folks...

Back
Top Bottom